PDA

View Full Version : Want to fit a bulkhead as overflow!! Ideas needed

Billy
Fri Dec 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
hi all,

i want to drill a hole to fit a bulkhead as overflow to my sump!!

Here is a list of question:

1. What size of bulkhead / hole should i look for, it must allow flow close to 1000ltr/h

2. Should i get it drill on vertical side or at the bottom (standpipe) of the tank ??

3. Is there a way so that it can suck the bottom of the tank but will stop, if pump stops.

4. Is it noisy ??

plz share your ideas!!

kalebjarrod
Fri Dec 10, 2004, 09:44 PM
i use 32mm bulk haeds in all my tanks they seem to handle 2000ltrs but they can still handle way more (never needed to buy that big a pump yet)

i have tanks drilled from the bottom and tanks drilled from the side, it will depend on your needs, if they are drilled on the side you can't fit the tank flaush with a wall, if under neath they need to be drilled in areas that dont have surport beams in your way

yeah thier is i will find a link

they are noisy little things if you oversize the pipes to much, the water aplashes around in the pipes, if you use the correct size pipe (big enough to handle your pump properly) they are slient, so slient you can hear the sound of a fish fart LOL

i use bulkheads everywhere, they are easy to use, work well, and give you an amazing amount of flexablility in DIY construction

rogue
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:26 AM
I would use 2 x 32mm bulk heads, drilled from the bottom with a weir. One bulk head would have a "durso" type stand pipe. The other would just be a straight pipe, higher than the first,this is in case the first get's blocked. Would prevent a major flood!
Durso type standpipes can be tuned to prevent excessive noise. See here: http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm
Using a weir means that the tank will not empty if your main return pump stops.
Hope this helps.

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:50 AM
if you have problem with your overflows getting blocked you can buy stainless steel screens for them

it increases the surface area from which your pipe can draw from and prevents all but the worst disasters

see pic :wink:

parasite
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 05:39 AM
where can these stainless steel screens be purchased ?

Thanks

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 06:39 AM
most pump and irrigation shops will stock them

i got mine from oxenford pumps and pipes (ask for graham tell him ryan sent ya, i buy stacks of stuff from him)

but most people who sell davey, grudfos, onga pumps will have a assortment of them, plastic metal and stainless :wink:

discusdude
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 07:00 AM
Hey Billy,
IME you will only need a 25mm bulkhead. I have a sump setup doing 4000 lph, and a 25mm bulkhead handles it fine.

Cheers
Alistair

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 08:27 AM
your probably right

32mm is way overkill on mine

and that handles 2000ltrs plus :wink:

Billy
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 03:30 PM
Thx guys,

i think i will go for a 25m bulkhead and maybe drill on the side!!

Where can i get my tanks drilled near Hurstville (Southern Sydney) and cheap??

Or is it hard to drill it myself (i can borrow equipement from my friend)??