PDA

View Full Version : 7ft tank - 6ft light

TW
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hi all

planning 7ft tank with C02 & high light (compact pc). Been playing around with idea of putting a 6ft light, so that around tank perimeter, there are some less bright areas for discus to retreat to when they want to get away from bright light.

My questions are:-

Is 6ft light small enough, when put on a 7ft tank to create less bright areas, or will light still spread fully over entire tank.

If 6ft light will still create a fully bright tank, how about 5ft fitting?
I would keep lower light plants around tank perimeter & put high light plants directly under light.

Not sure if I will do either of the above options, but wondered if the planted tank experts here have any opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:41 PM
a 6 foot night would look nice, but if you wanted darker areas a 5 foot would be better that way you'd have a foot of darker area either side of tank.

if you want to grow high light plants go the 6 foot light you'll need 8 39w (3foot) T5's to grow high light plants in a tank like that.

TW
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks once again ILLUSN

I couldn't find T5's that have either twin power cords, or were individually programmable (at least not ones I could afford).

I have gone with 6ft compact pc. There will be 4 x 96W. I have 132G (less when you deduct for substrate, rocks, driftwood & plants), but if I calculate on 132G, then I will have 2.7 wpg.