PDA

View Full Version : 0 Nitrates 0 Nitrites and Zero Ammonia is this normal?

JoeDiscus85
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 08:18 PM
Well as stated in the headline thats my problem, Or should i say more like my question is it normal to have reading of zero every time?? I do a 25% w/c every night so im no rocket scientist but thats 175% of the water weekly. My tank has been up and running for a little over a year now. I use r/o and kent marine ro right and kent marine discus essentials. Thats all that im really wondering about is if thats normal?

Joe

Greggy
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:41 AM
Is your tank planted?

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:43 AM
Heavily!!!!!! 10 Huge amazon swords, Java ferns,hornwort,Cabomba,And a few bunches of dwarf sagarmantha(sp)?

Mr Discus
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
Sounds right to me. The amount of water changes you are doing coupled with a heavily planted tank will suck the nitrates right out of the water.

Ammonia and nitrites should always be zero (in a well cared for tank), and plants love to remove nitrates, so it sounds to me like your tank is very efficient and healthy. Nothing to worry about.

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:35 PM
awesome thanks. I wasnt sure if maybe my test kit was bad, So i checked some tap and it was way different so the kit is most likely accurate, It should be its 2007 api master test kit. Well thanks again.

Joe

Greggy
Tue Apr 01, 2008, 02:03 PM
You may even have to manually add a small amount of Nitrate in the form of KNO3 every few days or so, as planted tanks like to have around 10ppm of NO3 for good growth and to help combat BBA.

Regards,

Greggy

JoeDiscus85
Wed Apr 02, 2008, 01:09 AM
As far as growth, I wish i could stop them haha. They are growing so big that im going to have to get a new bigger tank. Thanks for your help greggy. I was pretty worried there was a problem,Im a worry wort when it comes to my precious fish my wife would deffinately agree lol. Thanks again

Joe

Gone Fishing
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Joe,
What was/is their growth rate?
I think your "Kent marine nitrate absorber" must be a strong factor.

I have four small anubias logs and one large planted log, three 10cm discus & one 12cm discus, two congo tetra two clown loaches, two large and four small bristlenose catfish.

I do about a 40% water change every 3-4 days and I would be lucky to get lower than 10ppm nitrate.

You are very dedicated, to do a gravel vac every night. You must have no kids! Ha Ha!

Many Kindly Fishy Regards
Jason

JoeDiscus85
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 10:26 AM
LOL! Thats true, No kids yet.... Got a little boy growing in my wifes belly as we speek : ) . All my buddys say wait till that kid comes you will never have time for them.I hope that isnt true i love my discus so much, And so do any of our house guests they are blown away when i tell them its freshwater. Well as far as my plants growth rate its INSANE!!! I started with 2 amazon swords, Both made runners in a months time now i have about 10 amazon swords, They started out at 6 inches about a year ago, They are now growing out of my tank, Thats why i say i wish they would stop. Ive got to get a new tank just for the plants lol.

Joe