PDA

View Full Version : HECKELS

cichlidfan
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:11 AM
Here is a couple of pics of a couple of my Heckels.
Regards
Allan

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 09:21 AM
nice color!!!!!!!!

how good are the gill plates!

bet they looked amazing without the flash

scott bowler
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
nice allan ,

dntx5b9
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 06:59 PM
Nice fish. It appears that Heckels are the newest fads in the discus world (or may be I am wrong). They are nice and all, but don't understand all the rage. So, those of you who love your heckels. What about them that fascinate you? Just wondering ... :)

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
those of you who love your heckels. What about them that fascinate you? Just wondering

For me its the bars, in breeding colors, the 3 dark bars with the black halo through the fins is a real highlight, the irridecent blue through the body and fins contrasts so well with the bland base color, and the intense red you get in the males top fin as they mature is stunning when the light hits it just right. To maintain and breed helthy adult population is something I've wated to do since i was 10.

You'd really need to see them in person to see what i mean.

Also factor in how difficult they are to get, keep, and near imposible to breed, the challange is what makes me want them. add to that that these are The REAL discus latin name: Symphysodon discus as oppose to all others which are differing species and subsepcies Symphysodon aequifasciata.

samir
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 05:49 AM
Nice fish. It appears that Heckels are the newest fads in the discus world (or may be I am wrong). They are nice and all, but don't understand all the rage. So, those of you who love your heckels. What about them that fascinate you? Just wondering ... :)

the 5th bar is like a phallic symbol, and that excites me :roll:

dntx5b9
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
My LFS has some heckles. It didn't say wild, but I was assuming they were. Don't know. Anyhow, they were nice looking group, medium sized about 4"to 4.5" from head to tail and they were $35 (US) each. I thought they were a good deal. Didn't get them, though, but I ended up getting a smaller nice looking red mellon 3" from head to tail for $40.

I also heard that the wild heckels are very shy and never as active and bold as domestic bred discus or even some of the other wilds. Not sure if that's the case, but if it is that would be the reason #1 I would not get them.

samir
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 03:27 PM
they would have to be wild, and if healthy they are not shy. they eat better and are way stronger and more active than any domestic discus.