PDA

View Full Version : HOLE ON FIN

snowy6
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:41 AM
There's a see-through hole on the bottom fin. Most of the discuses were darting through the tank some 2 weeks ago. Put the whole tank through a short and long PP dip for 2 days, condition didn't improve. Used antibiotic for 5 days, still no improvement. 3 days ago switched to malachite green. They have stopped darting but only to discover that one of them has got this see-through hole on the bottom fin.

Is this fin rot? What treatment should I give?

dandaman352
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 02:18 AM
I would not think that its fin rot, because usually it starts from the ends and works its way in. Are there any sharp things in your tank that could cause a puncture? Because if your discus are darting around they could easily injure themselves that way. Just keep the water quality good, and some stress coat and it should clear up on its own.

snowy6
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 05:24 AM
I thought so too, b'cos fin rot starts from the ends. I checked for any sharp object in the tank, but don't seem to find any, there's only a top filter and a bio sponge. If it is some kind of tear from sharp object, it should not be so even. The edges of this holes (in fact there are 2 holes) are smooth. Wonder if it could be some kind of burn from overdosage of PP or antibiotic.

So you think it will clear up on its own? Do you think it can be some kind of bacteria attack and can it be contagious? The darting around and clamping, I noticed, always starts with this particular discus, then after some hours, the rest starts darting around too.

dandaman352
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 05:32 AM
Well the darting could just be from them getting startled, from any loud noise or just plain footsteps sometimes do it. Mine get scared sometimes and they all dart to the corner for cover its natural. And all it takes is one to get scared for the rest to just follow him. I'm not sure about the possible burn, but how long as he had that hole for?

Andrew Soh
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 01:42 PM
If the edge or beating of the hole has sealed up then you don't have to do anything and no treatment is needed.

If the hole is still an open wound...then take it out and rub some tetracycline on it , hold it for 20 second and put it back into the water.

But if you want it gone, then you might have to cut off that area for it to repiar and regrow.

Generally it is not caused by knocking or injury but cause by bacteria.

Take care,
Andrew :wink:

snowy6
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 01:52 AM
Hi dandaman352

I just discovered the hole some 3 days ago, don't know exactly when that fish has this hole.

Hi Andrew Soh

Thanks for the infor, will try tetracycline if hole doesn't fill up, but won't consider cutting, it's scary.

Thanks alot.

Andrew Soh
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 03:25 AM
I had a look again at the picture and cutting is out because the hole is in the fleshy area....not possible to do it...my apology for that suggestion, Snow6.

But the wound/hole seldom heals and cover-up fully...through my experience...so best is still to rub on the wound to revitalise tissue growth.

That's my suggestion.

Take care,
Andrew

snowy6
Sat Mar 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi Andrew Soh

Its ok, but I have been trying to find this tetracycline, its not easily available at any of the fish store in Spore? Any other available treatment that I can easily find in local shop? I have bifuran, do you think it will work? I need to find a cure for the whole tank b'cos I found another fish with a hole too. This other fish I noticed, had this translucent hole initially, but this morning, a small little see-through hole is appearing. I'm worried that it might have already spread to all the other discuses, though they look ok.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks again.

Andrew Soh
Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:02 AM
Yes, you can use befuran to rub on.

snowy6
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks. I just tried rubbing befuran on their fin this morning, but just realised I dissolved the powder in water before rubbing. Should I dissolve the powder first or should I just rub powder directly? Sorry for this stupid question. And must I continue this treatment another few more days or is one treatment sufficient?

Andrew Soh
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 06:34 AM
Once should be enough ...but second time after two days won't harm.... :wink:

Add a little bit of water to make into paste before rubbing.

take care,

snowy6
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thank you very very much.

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ive had that same thing,Never treated with anything nature just took its course and it healed up, I did remove the jagged rock that i beleived was the cause of the problem and its never come back so good luck

Joe