PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Filter..

Tracey73
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 06:06 AM
What are the opinions on fluval?
I am getting a Juwel Vision 450 tank at cost price :) and I can get any fluval filter at 40% off.. Is Eheim better or is fluval just as good? What filter make and model am I going to need for this tank?
Also what sort of adjustments am I going to have to make to the tank in order to accomodate the filter?? Any advice would be much appreciated!

discusluver
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
hi tracy funny you mention that today i purchased 2x fluval fx5 canisters and have heard they are really good also owned for a while now but have at least 1each of the other 4 sizes of fluval filter and they all do there job gr8 i have never used ehiem and definatly would not knock em i have heard a lot of people say that they are a good filter i guess preference is what it comes down to both fluval and ehiem are reputable brands.i started with a fluval and found them to also be reliable so every other filter for other tanks has been a fluval too. :D
have a gr8 day!
p.s i would go with at least a 405 if you want over kill FX5 will keep that tank spotless which can help!
let us know what you choose in the end

Tracey73
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
if you want over kill FX5 will keep that tank spotless which can help!

Yep overkill is what im going for :twisted: :twisted:

Matt15
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Tracey if your looking at the TOP class filters of these two manufacturers you shouldn't miss this thread by taksan titled Eheim 2080 Pro3 vs Fluval FX5 REVIEW.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Its a fantastic review and certainly an informative read....;)

taksan
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
Fluvals .... simply SUCK !!!!!

Matt15
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:52 AM

lol i don't remember reading that in the review.... :lol:

Tracey73
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 10:58 AM

lol i don't remember reading that in the review.... :lol:

Lol I just finished reading your review Taksan and im with Matt.. where was the fluvals simply suck part? damn could have saved me a lot of reading! :lol:

discusluver
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:25 AM
intresting reading taksan good reveiw lots of info fluval have given me great service over the years dont know why they suck! :D

taksan
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 12:16 PM
Read down the bottom .....comparing a fluval to a Eheim is like comparing a Holden to a Mercedes ....

Matt15
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 12:31 PM
So at the end of the day, man has to travel from A to B. Both of these motor vehicles will do the exact same job but which one should he buy. It just depends on how much money man has to throw at materials and how tied up he's gotten in the hoohaa of marketing.

taksan
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 04:15 AM
So at the end of the day, man has to travel from A to B. Both of these motor vehicles will do the exact same job but which one should he buy. It just depends on how much money man has to throw at materials and how tied up he's gotten in the hoohaa of marketing.

If that was true then I wouldn't have 5 out of 6 Fluval FX5's break down over the past 6 months while the Eheims continued to work flawlessly.
Its all to do with quality .... Eheims have it ...Fluvals don't

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 04:44 AM
I've also had dramas with fluvals failing on me, my problems were with the 404's, head failure, canister body failure, impellers going bad within months of instalation (x2) leaking stop taps.

I've never had a problem with my 304 which is still going strong to this day, though parts are getting harder to find.

i now run 15 eheims (aged between 19 and 2 years old) 1 aquaone (soon to be replaced, too much by pass) and 1 fluval 304.

I couldn't recomend a new fluval to anyone as I wouldn't buy one myself anymore.

For a 450L tank a eheim 2080 would be the best choice, followed by a pair of 2028's or 2228's or 2217's.

the bonus with a pair of the smaller eheims is that they ship with media where as the fx5 doesn't saving you a fair bit of cash.

FLUVAL FX5 no media $489.95 http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=28

2x eheim 2217's WITH media (2x229.95)=$459.90
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=447

discusluver
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 05:47 AM
either way i still think they are both good products i guess like any product they are subject to failure in my experience with fluval they have done a gr8 job for years and never once broken down on me and i have a 105 a 205 and 2x404 with no problems in any of them and knock on wood they keep operating flawless! including my 2 new fx5s.
have a gr8 day all!! :D

dntx5b9
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't have an Eheim, so can't comment. I refuse to buy one because it costs so much. Also, relatively low flow rate. But I had FX5 and XP4 for 9 months. They are running very well. No issues what so ever. I just purchased a Fluval 405 two weeks ago. So, will see how it holds up. Unless you somehow abuse your cannister filters, I really don't see how you can have all those things go wrong with the filters. :?

I heard nothing but good reviews on the FX5s here in US. May be they send all the defective ones downunder and send the good ones to US. :lol:

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 11:10 PM
Unless you somehow abuse your cannister filters, I really don't see how you can have all those things go wrong with the filters.

If your taking your filter apart once a month for a clean I'd hardly call it "abuse" if the taps keep streaming water once removed from the filter, while clearly closed, or the canister body splits along the seam, or if the blue clips fracture while being opened, at the joint (point of most stress) or is your watching tv and you hear a load rattle from the filter head to find the impeller has split from its base.

I've had 1 2213 impeller fail after 4 years of constant use and 1 2217 impeller fracture a fin after 6 years of use.

relatively low flow rate

the slower the flow rate the better the biological filtration, this increases the contact time allowing more biological breakdown, hence the fluid bed filter FB900 by Pentair aquatics can filter 3420L with 800L/h max flow.

flowrate has less to do with filtration capacity then biomedia surface area.

Taksan reviewed the pro3's 12L capacity v's the FX5's 6L and proved it, even though the FX5 had 2x the flow rate.

also the fx5 has a media capacity of 6L, a tiny (by comparisum) 2217 has a media capacity of 5.3L.

if you can get a fluval at a great price that you cant walk away from by all means if it makes you happy grab it. But for the money, after market support and hassel i wouldn't, a good filter should last you a lifetime with the propper TLC (as my 2015 hand me down from dad is still going strong and its older them me, I'm 29)

discusluver
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:48 AM
hi there all just one more thing i would like to add to this topic is that i own 2x fluval 404 the old model preceding 405 and they work sensational and dont break they might just keep working forever the old dinosaurs hahahaha! my only other issue is how much extra does a ehiem cost when compared to fluval it can be a big difference for a product that is supposed to do the same job as a fluval fx5 for which i paid AU$400 each including all the media cinted glass noodles not porcelain. compare that to what else is avalible in super size cannisters the fluval compares very nicely on things such as cost ,preformance and most importantly reliability.
have a gr8 day all! :D

discusluver
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 12:57 AM
Forgot to add, FX5 comes with 6 year manufacturers warranty, whereas when i went and googled the eheim 2217 and it comes with 2 years.
:D
EDIT BY MODERATOR NON SPONSER LINK REMOVED

Tracey73
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 08:07 AM
:roll: Umm taksan did you do that comparison report between the fluval and eheim yourself? Because I just read the exact same report on an american aquariums website, word for word :roll:

EDIT BY ADMIN:

Taksan indeed did that comparison report himself and it is used on several websites he is associated with.

benkk
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 08:12 AM
I had a Fluval 405 for 2 years..... no problem at all.
But i wouldn't mind to get a Eheim bit later on ...

The annoy thing about Fluval is its hose, it's really annoying coz you cannot really fit in a normal 12/16 hose you can only use their 'ripple' hose.....

discusluver
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 11:02 AM
hmmm interesting tracy! DID that report say fluval sucks too lol.

Matt15
Fri Mar 28, 2008, 04:44 PM
Look at the end of the day we are all paying money for a product which does the same job.
A motor sucks water through a canister, through some filter media and back into the tank.
You can pay more money for a product which provides better quality parts or a cheaper brand which might not last as long but will complete the same job.
Geesh... look at Bunnings... how many throw away products do they sell these days. LOADS>>>> and really they all do the same job, but again depends on how u treat the product and what u use it for will impact on its durability and quality for performance.

I've worked with some well off people in my profession and there's some who have bucket loads of money but can't stand the thought of buying MERC, BMW or a Lexus due to past experiences.
And if your a PC guru you'll know all about the olde Pent vrs AMD or ATi vrs N-Vidia contest. At the end of the day they all do the same job.

I say... each to there own and if it works for you... then stick to it. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and more often then not a persons opinion will reflect ones experiences.

I'm sure there's loads of information here for you Tracey regarding your new Canister filter purchase. GL with it all........;)

Greggy
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 01:28 AM
Do you think Taksan is going to do a thorough filter review/test and only post it on one forum? Come on... he's not that silly!

For example:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68458

As you can see, Taksan is a member of several on-line aquarium forums, and he has posted it to a few of them, so no wonder you are going to see the same review, word for word, elsewhere.

When you weigh it all up, Eheim filters > Fluval Filters. It's a simple fact. Get used to it.

If it makes you sleep better at night for buying something other than an Eheim then by all means do it. But I say your just kidding yourself if you think your getting a better filter no matter how much cheaper it may be.

My advice to you is to take Taksan's & ILLUSN's advice and get an Eheim filter, or a pair of Eheim filters. If I had a 450L tank I'd probably add a pair of Eheim 2271's or 2228's. For reference I run an Eheim 2250 Classic and an Eheim 2228 Pro on my 650L 6x2x2.

Greggy

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 01:38 AM
hahaha
the fluval vs. eheim debate...... its been going forever and still the answer is easy:

Eheim = top of the range product, best money can buy. expensive.

Fluval = good product in some instances, quite bad in others. more affordable.

maybe everyone just has to take their pick?

Tracey73
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
Do you think Taksan is going to do a thorough filter review/test and only post it on one forum? Come on... he's not that silly!

For example:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68458

As you can see, Taksan is a member of several on-line aquarium forums, and he has posted it to a few of them, so no wonder you are going to see the same review, word for word, elsewhere.

Greggy

It was not a forum that I saw this same review on, it was a companies website.. maybe they copyright Taksans report :roll:
Anyway the point of this whole topic is to find the best filter for the tank I am buying. I want what is best for my pets, going el cheapo is not an option for me when it comes to my animals, going what is the absolute best for their wellbeing is my aim. At the end of the day we choose to have these animals, they do not choose to have us.. After reading many reviews and opinions I have decided to go the Eheim :wink: It appears to be the most reliable & the better quality filter...
thanks everyone for your input :)

Greggy
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
Good decision Tracey. Very good in fact.

For a 450L tank two Eheim 2217 Classic filters would do an incredibly good job. You would alternate the maintenance on them to clean one at a time, that way you minimise the chance of harming your precious biological filtration colony. If you would like a slightly easier job when cleaning the filters then I suggest a pair of Eheim 2228 or 2028 Professional canister filters.

Most Eheim canister models these days include quality Eheim filter media and quick-connect taps so they are actually a bargain when you factor in the quality your getting.

Regards,

Greggy

Tracey73
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
Would it better for me to get two of the eheim's you mentioned or 1 of the Eheim Pro III 2080? I was looking at getting the Eheim Pro III 2180 :roll:

Tracey73
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 09:43 AM
and... How often do you need to change the filter media in these filters?

taksan
Sun Mar 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
Tracey get a 2180 ...its the worlds best cannister filter. Change the fine (white) pad about every 6 weeks and the course (blue) pad about every 12 weeks (if you rinse it in tank water while changing the white pad) you can buy a pack of 2 white 1 blue pads which makes it easier.
Now
2 things
1) Getting the Juwel filter out ....... be careful cutting the silicon as its black and is easy to smudge. It takes a while to do it right so be patient.
2) Get the tank drilled and plumbed for the Eheim it uses 16/22mm hose so 19mm fittings work well don't forget it has 2 intakes and one outlet. Don't worry about drilling the tank Juwels drill very well.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:37 AM
substrate pro media will last for years i have some that it 3 years old, just give it a wash with tank water every month or 6 wekks, when ever you change the filter pad.

dntx5b9
Tue Apr 01, 2008, 04:38 PM
Anyway the point of this whole topic is to find the best filter for the tank I am buying. I want what is best for my pets, going el cheapo is not an option for me when it comes to my animals, going what is the absolute best for their wellbeing is my aim. At the end of the day we choose to have these animals, they do not choose to have us.. After reading many reviews and opinions I have decided to go the Eheim :wink: It appears to be the most reliable & the better quality filter...
thanks everyone for your input :)

Eheim may be the best filter on the market, but it does not provide better conditions in your tank for your fish. Other "el cheapo" filters provide filteration capability just as good as the best eheim filters can provide. Just because I don't choose to buy eheim or other over priced equipments for my fish tank, doesn't mean I care less about well being of my fish.

taksan
Wed Apr 02, 2008, 02:32 AM
Eheim may be the best filter on the market, but it does not provide better conditions in your tank for your fish. Other "el cheapo" filters provide filteration capability just as good as the best eheim filters can provide. .

While everyone is entitled to their opinion I cannot allow the above quote comments to pass without adding the following disclaimer.

The views expressed in the above quoted comments by dntx5b9 are regarded by the Administrators of this website as completely false and totally incorrect as to the facts and we advise anyone reading the above comments to research the issue themselves carefully before making any filter purchasing decision.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:27 AM
I think the key word here is reliability.

Nothing to do with the price of a filter, but which filter is the most reliable.

Both taksan and I have had breakdowns of other brands of filters. Between us, we must have around 40 Eheim filters currently in operation, ranging from internal sponge filters to top of the line Pro 3 with inbuilt heaters, and just about everything in between.

I've been running eheims for over 20 years, and in my experience, they are the most reliable units on the market, and I've tried a lot of brands. I don't know if they do a better job, but they certainly do a good job, very reliably.

That's why I keep using Eheims, and wouldn't buy anything else.

Bad Inferno
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:49 AM
Tracey,

I have the same tank check out
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13330

The Ehiem 2028 pro has been a great filter on this vision 450 tank whisper quiet, even when bubbling co2 directly into its intake. After running a fluval for a couple of years the quietness of the ehiem is priceless. I have 8 large disus and 25 cardinals in my Vision 450

Bad Inferno
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:51 AM
Oh forgot to say if you look at the link you will see the integrated background

DO NOT GET THE JUWEL BACKGROUND even if they give it to you !

Tracey73
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:04 PM
[quote="Merrilyn"]I think the key word here is reliability.

Nothing to do with the price of a filter, but which filter is the most reliable.

quote]

My point exactly. El Cheapo I was referring to the $10 filters you can buy from markets, I was not referring that to the fluval, I hardly consider $400 cheap! In saying that I can get the Fluval Fx5 at cost price $160 and then an extra 40% off that, but going by the many reviews I have read over the last few months I am going with the Eheim. I do not consider reliability 'overpriced' when it comes to looking after something that is priceless to me.

Tracey73
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:11 PM
I have already checked out your vision thread Bad Inferno :wink: Can't wait to get mine. Maybe you will be able to help us out with some tips and tricks when it comes it installing our Eheim 2180, I take it the hoses will not fit through the cut outs in the back of the tank? :roll:
I can get those Juwel backgrounds at $50 per piece, but I had already decided to not get them as Im not a fan of the look of them. Can you tell me anyway why you recommend not getting them :roll:
Also hubby is insisting on putting foam between the tank and cabinet. what is your opinion on this?

gypsy3
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 12:30 AM
Jeeze tracey!!! 160 + 40% off an fx 5 ???? Let me know where please, I'll take a dozen!!

Matt15
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 04:12 AM
My gosh that a cheap price for a Fx-5, i'd also love to know where you get that from?

Also hubby is insisting on putting foam between the tank and cabinet. what is your opinion on this?

Foam is a must for any tank as it helps with stress when full of water. You'll also find any manufacture warranties with the tank and stand will be voided without having the foam.

Bad Inferno
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:00 AM
1. Backgrounds went black after about 4 months...
2. I think you may find it is recommended NOT to install foam.

taksan
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 08:00 AM
[quote=Merrilyn]I think the key word here is reliability.

quote]

My point exactly. El Cheapo I was referring to the $10 filters you can buy from markets, I was not referring that to the fluval, I hardly consider $400 cheap! In saying that I can get the Fluval Fx5 at cost price $160 and then an extra 40% off that, but going by the many reviews I have read over the last few months I am going with the Eheim. I do not consider reliability 'overpriced' when it comes to looking after something that is priceless to me.

A FX5 isn't $160 on Petpacs price list...... thats a 405

taksan
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 08:01 AM
Juwel tanks do not need foam as they come with a bottom designed to fit on the stand.
As for installing the 2180 ...if you want it to look really good then drill the tank with 2 19mm inlet bulkheads in the bottom and one 19mm outlet bulkhead in the back middle near the top.