PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a Halide Light

Dangerous Dave
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi All,

A follow up question after the previous T5 query.
I am now looking at keeping the 6' light fixture (2x30w globes) and adding a small halide light. The tank is only 18" deep.
I don't want to spend a fortune but would like some better growth of my plants.

These are the lights that I am considering:

150W METAL HALIDE FITTING WITH 10000K

A MUST HAVE FOR YOUR AQUARIUM AT THE BEST PRICE

Brand New Metal Halide Fitting with 4 x 24W globes
This Fitting is 640 Long. It comes complete with all globes and fittings to hang it up
1 x 150W 10 000K UV Block Globe + 4 x NEW T5 High Output 24W T5 Globes at no charge.
This Fitting Has The Newest Electronic Technology T5 Ballasts.
2 Individual Power Cords For Metal Halide on one cord, And T5 Lamps on one For Full Control.
This Fitting Will Bring Out The Best in Your Aquarium. A Must For Your Marine Or Plant Aquarium.
Unit comes with 2 x 10k & 2 X ACTINIC 24w T5 Globes, 1 X 10k 150w METAL HALIDE GLOBE

400W METAL HALIDE FITTING

400W Metal Halide Fitting . LB-50

Made of hi-quality aluminum to prevent rust and German quality reflector.

This Fitting is 50cm Long. It comes complete with all fittings to hang it up

Uses 1 x 400W 14 000K UV Block single ended GES Globe .

This Fitting Has The Newest Ballasts.

This Fitting Will Bring Out The Best in Your Aquarium. A Must For Your Marine Or Plant Aquarium

400W Clamp-On Metal Halide with Fan 20,000K

The HD series of Metal Halide light units are the personification of aquarium style. The elegant design will enhance any aquarium set up.
The metal halide lamp provides the complete light spectrum and is the perfect balance for healthy plant, coral and fish growth.
With a clamp-on design it can be easily mounted on any glass aquarium.
The built in (Ajustable) cooling fan reduces the heat gain caused by lighting and both the fan and lamp are controlled by an external ballast system.
With water tight cable seals, the ballast come fused for safety and safeguard against shorting and voltage spikes.

Specifications:
- 400W Lamp
- External Ballast
- 20,000K Bulb
- Dual-Switches
- Built in Adjustable Fan

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Roadkill
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:27 AM
Hi,

I've seen quite a few tanks setup with one hallide over and 6' tank and to be honest it just looks crappy. It just provides uneven light and often different colour tones - this would be really obvious with a 400w hallide. Also, 400 w hallide is a bit for a planted tank 18" deep, 150w is plenty. On a 6ft i'd recommend either 3 150w hallides or get a decent t5 setup. Both will provide plenty of light with nice even coverage over the tank.

As for the hallides you're looking at - if they are cheap then be careful. 95% of them will have very ordinary bulbs. They usually don't halp the plants that much and algae tends to thrive!! You've then gotta buy decent bulbs which easily adds 150 to the price of each fitting!

I've currently got 2 150w hallides above my 4x2x2 and everything is going really really good - couldn't recommend it enough. If you want to do it in the cheap then visit a used shop fitting shop. All you need is the reflector and the ballast which can usually be picked up for about $80 complete.

bEn

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 05:48 AM
if you go with 150w get 6500k globes, halides are spot lights so you'll need at least 2, each will spot around 2foot of tank "footprint"

AHC
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 05:26 AM
Hey Roadkill,
Do you mind me asking how high you have your halides from the top of the tank glass? Im planning hood height etc at the moment and definately getting halides. but there is never enough information regarding tropical setups. Ive read around 25 - 30cm high?

AHC
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 05:54 AM
Dangerous Dave - Sorry mate. Didnt mean to hyjack your post. Was searching under halides and thought this was an old post.