PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowded Tank Again

ivo
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 07:07 PM
This is my new tank purchased in Dec 07 in order to give some more room for my discus. It does not take long to fill up the tank with new discus. I am running 3 external filters and lots of water change to keep them healthy. Another tank of discus is just as crowded. What a discus addict i am...just like scott. Although, i feel less guilty after i saw Scott's group discus photo recently!

Gilles
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 07:09 PM
17 discus!? :shock: in what size tank?

scott bowler
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:11 PM
lol ivo ,dont let me lead you astray , it looks like i have thou , i had 30 fish in a 6 ft at one stage , to much hard work , good husbintry is the key , nice fish and work mate

Matt15
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:40 PM
lol 17 in what looks to be a 4ft. Ivo you've got some gorgeous fish in there mate, a few i'd love to have personally.

If this isn't your only tank, any chance you could post some pics of your other tank for me?

I really think i'm heading down the same track mate, i've got to post some of my recent photos but when i do you'll see a simular trend. The only thing slowing me down is the minister of war and finance yarning in my ear. Last night i was told i'm not allowed to purchase any more discus for at least 6 months. Not sure how long that rule is going to last....hahahahaha.

ivo
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 04:20 AM
Scott, i thought you are my mentor on discus so i followed your lead...just joking. i think i was like that right from the start when i keep discus. then keep getting more and bigger tank but "overcrowded" seems to follow too. can't help it when i see nice one.

Matt, can take a picture of the other tank. that one is not as bad there are only 12 discus (i think) in there. it is y phasing out tank, i.e., if i find another better one then it gets move from bigger tank to phasing out tank, and when phasing out tank gets too full they get to be moved out to someone tank.

touch wood, i haven't had any major issue with their health and they usually seem very healthy and color keeping well. 3 external filters in each tank plus lots of water change. i broke all the rules to keep discus probably from 3 years ago. again, we are addict we can't help ourselves.

DiscusEden
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow Ivo! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I knew you had some nice fish, but that's just stunning!

What a pity you live so far away - I'd love to fill my tank with your cast-offs - though I suspect you'd be a bad influence & there'd be no floor space left, only tanks.

What's the one on the top RHS of the last photo? And is that a heckle cross I see? What's it been crossed with?

ivo
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
hi matt, here are some pictures of my second tank...my phrasing out tank. they are sitting there to be replaced when and if i find better discus. again, very crowded but they are being looked after and very healthy. water in second picture looks yellow because i was trying different setting on my camera.

hi DE, thank you. which fish are you referring to the top RHS in the last picture and you think it is a cross? sorry, i am not sure which one you meant. if you refer to the small brown one with a half bar in the middle then i am not exactly sure what it is. it is not a cross nor any wild. it is a throw back discus. i bought it from a private person instead of lfs. i thought it is so cute and it is doing so well and growing fast, adding lots of color on. i love it especially when it's black ring appears in full but it does not happen often only when it is excited.

DiscusEden
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry, Ivo, I meant 2 different fish. The throwback was one - you're right, really cute!

The other was maybe a golden or an albino? In the 3rd picture, top fish in the whole pic, over on the right?

Matt15
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
lol @ phasing out tank comments. Mate there's some gorgeous fish in that tank too. Bloody hell you've got some high standards if there your seconds. Mind you i'd love to live closer to you, that way I could be your "moved out to someone tank".

ivo
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi DE, Yes it is a golden albino. Have it for a while now and color has sharpening quite nicely. Here is it's update picture.

Hi Matt, LOL but i hope you don't think i sounded arrogant there about phrasing out comments. I am just an addict i always like something new and keep looking for better, thats all.

Matt15
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:34 PM
No mate not at all. My discus keeping habits are very simular. I've sold a tesser looking fish before when my 3ft was over crowded. But i've just recently upgraded so I've got lots more room now for expansion. Now all I need is more quality discus all of different varieties.

I absolutely love your collection, its my inspiration as well as Scotts 6ft setup. :D

Did you ever have them in a planted tank?
Obvisouly with the numbers your keeping a bare bottom is much easier for keeping.

DiscusEden
Tue Mar 25, 2008, 07:30 AM
Love that fish! That's the new "must have" fish for me I think! I always drool looking at your collection Ivo! Just pure class!

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:21 AM
Yep, you're definately got an overcrowding problem there Ivo, but you've got some gorgeous fish too.

But rest assured, there is a solution ........... MORE TANKS :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ivo
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks Merrilyn. I have my overcrowded problem from the beginning of keeping discus. I blame it on too many new beautiful ones keep showing in my face. No more tanks...too many tanks already. I assure you tho they are all being looked after well. Not too much room to swim but they are healthy and growing well in size and color.