PDA

View Full Version : At what rate do iuse buffers

Jules
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
My discus have come from a tank that was reading a ph of 8 so this is what i made mine. They have been home for 4 days and all seem very happy swimming around and eating very well quite little scavengers really. I would like to start bringing my ph down gradually. ILLUSN advised me to use a buffer in my aged water. The only buffer i have available to me at the moment is bi-carb soda, remembering i am on xmas island no popping down to lfs and all products i order take weeks or even months to get to me. I need to know at what rate to add the bi-carb :?: :?: I am doing a 10% change of water per day at the moment until i can get ph down to an acceptable level. My holding tank is 50litres my aquarium 500litres. Thanks everyone. What beautiful freindly fish these guys are i just love them :!: :!: :!: Dizzy over Discus

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hi Jules, don't use the bi-carb soda. It's designed to RAISE your pH, and with a reading of 8 already, you certainly don't want to do that :D

Just gradually increase the percentage of rainwater to tapwater when you do your water changes till you reach the pH you want.

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Jules,
the buffers your after are acidic buffers, like phosphoric acid, HCl etc.

if your tank is planted use either HCL or acid buffer by seachem as its not phosphate based.

Jules
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks will do, pH 7.8 today just by doing the rain water thing i have afew plants in there and the temp is currently holding at 30C i think i will stick to this as they seem very happy much brighter colours today and not so many black bars.