TW
Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:24 AM
PM sent

dandaman352
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 01:42 AM
Very jealous that I live in the states.

gypsy3
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:00 AM
hey Dandaman...i'm jealous that i DON'T live in the states.You guys can pick up wilds dirt cheap over there can't you?

TW
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:03 AM
I saw an add recenlty for on-line fish seller to US residents. Gorgeous wilds, like you say, dirt cheap. I'm jealous.

albatrozz
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:14 AM
so whats the problem with getting wilds here? I mean our dollar is going pretty strong to the US. i don't get why the most beautiful wilds are so cheap there and ordinary wilds are so expensive here.... :cry:

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:25 AM
supply and demand, we cant import direct from brazil like the US can, also we are cheep, we wont pay $600-$800US for an A grade like the germans and japs will (well some of us will :) ).

as a result all the best fish get sent off to those contries and while their shipping most of the b grades and other "nice" fish go too.

once the germans (and any other europeans who want them) and Japs have picked the best of the best whats left get sent around the world and each of the middle men wants to make their fair share of the money.

by the time they get to us here they've passed through 3-6 wholesalers each adding on their margin, X ammount have died and the losses are compensated by charging more for the survivors. then after getting here they are further quarentined for another 6-8weeks, again losses expected and in the end we have to pay the bill.

it sucks but thats just how things work.

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:44 AM
supply and demand, we cant import direct from brazil like the US can, also we are cheep, we wont pay $600-$800US for an A grade like the germans and japs will (well some of us will :) ).

who told you that mate lol for a A grade wild in germany you dont pay more than 150$ AU and thats when you take only one....

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
her some proof :D 1 euro is 0.63 australian dollar

http://www.diskusportal.de/portal/forum/topic,23506,-diskus-sondervekauf-!.html

TW
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:49 AM
A grade wild in germany you dont pay more than 150$ AU and thats when you take only one Something else to be jealous of :cry:

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:50 AM
ah and bit translation

GRÜN=green
wildfang=wild caught

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:52 AM
A grade wild in germany you dont pay more than 150$ AU and thats when you take only one Something else to be jealous of :cry:

yeah your right,its so bad...... one thing i really miss :?

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 05:53 AM
BUGGER ME!!!!!!!

I'm moving to germany Fast cars, good roads and cheep discus what more could you want!

still the Japs still pay top dollar for them, they love their RSG's

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:04 AM
japs are cazy mate they have to much money :D

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:05 AM
have a look at that :cry:
http://www.diskusportal.de/portal/forum/topic,23320,-neue-importe-aus-brasilien-und-kolumbien!!!.html

gypsy3
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:41 AM
there's gotta be a way dammit !!!!! - failing that, Illusn, would you mind picking me up on the way? :)

dandaman352
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:46 AM
Thats interesting that you guys feel that way, also not alot of people care about discus here so not many places also carry them. Its hard to find quality but when you do its a little expensive. I bought some high quality ones from a breeder charged me around 45 per fish for 2.5-3inch ones. (I'll post up some pics soon when I figure out how to get the pic not blurry)

Also NOBODY here has wilds. I don't know what website you guys are looking at but show it to me.

gypsy3
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
Can someone explain this to me tho - very slowly, 'cos i'm not too bright - if something in the U.S. or Germany, or wherever - costs say 50 bucks, not counting all the associated freight costs etc, why would the article itself, whether it be fish or whatever, go up so much in price here -understand what i mean? Why can't someone here with an importers licence access the fish at overseas prices, or is it the importing process that is the most expensive part of the process?

TW
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hi there

Now whether this US site has any available now, I couldn't say. The site was last updated in Jan 08, but the wild shipment info is said to have arrived in store March 07 http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/id55.html It shows wild caught blue discus for $65 & nice looking Heckels even cheaper.

Xtreme
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Costs for importing any fish include, setting up a quarrantine room, importing licences, AQIS fees, custom charges, packing and shipping, and a few other fees and charges that i cant think of right now, plus overheads that we retailers all have. I think you will find that there isnt a massive mark up like you think there is, we really do try to offer the best possible prices that we can. :)

TW
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
I've also read somewhere recently, that in the US, the wilds aren't seen to be as desirable as they are in Europe. Maybe their lack of popularity there keeps prices down - who knows?? I think ILLUSN probably means all the hands the discus pass through BEFORE they get anywhere near the hands of our local LFS are the ones making the big profits. I don't think anyone thought you're the one's with a massive markup.

TW
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
:oops: how embarrasing if you did think that - sorry :oops:

Xtreme
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Nah didnt think that, just saying that there are a heap of fees that turn a $50 fish into a $150 fish, and thats why. We think it sux a bit too lol.
Cant be helped though. :)

Xtreme
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
Prices also vary from different places, and also depending on size, quantitiy, availability, popularity at the time and quality. Very annoying actually lol.
Something could be $80 this month and then next moth $300, or go back to $50. Wilds etc are the flavour of the month atm, so prices sky rocket, and then once the demand dies down, or the market is flooded prices go back to a reasonable rate.

the german
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 01:20 PM
yeah very expensiv getting fish into au,when i came here i thought i will do it so i got infos :shock: :shock: :shock: you have to buy fish for a lot of $$$ AND sell them just to get the money for the lizens and the Q. inspection back and then the shops have to live from it as well......
its very sad :cry:

ILLUSN
Sat Mar 15, 2008, 04:15 AM
i still say the wilds are worth every cent we have to pay.

Massive thanks to Wayne and Bec at Xtreme for getting them in.

gypsy3
Sat Mar 15, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hmmm - so i take it from that comment Illusn that the move to Germany is no longer a goer??

benkk
Sat Mar 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
how come this time the Heckle is only $200 and last shipment is $395 ???

Xtreme
Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:50 AM
Different supplier, different size fish :wink:

TW
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 01:13 PM
Guess there's none left?

ASA
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:50 PM
Guess there's none left?

Sorry Robyn, forgot to reply, we have yours here still :wink:

TW
Wed Mar 26, 2008, 11:52 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you so much. I thought I had missed out altogether. I will be there on the weekend, will that be ok?

Xtreme
Thu Mar 27, 2008, 05:53 AM
Sure wil :)