PDA

View Full Version : White Spots help!

Tracey73
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 10:46 AM
Two of my discus have white spots on their tail and fin. All eating, bright and alert. Usually my Ph sits around 6.8 but since adding a large chunk of driftwood, I have found the PH plummet to 6

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Temp 29

Sorry bout the really bad pics, been trying to get a clear pic for the last 2 hours and my patience just wore out :evil:
Any ideas on what this could be? There has not been any new fish added, only two of my discus have the spots and I have been doing my 3 day water changes religiously :roll:
None of them are rubbing on anything either!

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
you see that sometimes with a ph drop, you canalso observe a clouding of the eye and a shedding of mucus from the gills,

your water is perfect, keep it up and they'll adjust to the new ph in no time.

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
I agree.. You're doing all the right things Tracey.

The white marks will vanish in time.

Tracey73
Wed Mar 12, 2008, 11:23 AM
Great.. thanks guys :)

Tracey73
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 07:45 AM
How long usually does it take for the spots to clear? One of the discus seems to have developed a couple more spots, they still do not have any on their body, just their fins and tails :roll: I am worried that it might be some sort of fungus as it does not seem to be improving. Would it be the PH plummeting doing this?

Im finding that the PH keeps getting really low, I did a water change last night and I just tested the water and its sitting on 6.0. I have tested the water out of the tap and it is 7.0. Would driftwood make PH keep plummeting that quick? What can I do to make the PH more stable, it use to always sit around 6.8 but since adding the driftwood it plummets really quickly overnight. All other water parameters are perfect.

Tracey73
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 01:37 AM
any suggestions? :roll:

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 02:51 AM
drift wood can do it but is usually associated with a build up of organics in the filter. maybe give the media a wah in some tank water.

is there any detoration of the fins or tain near the white patches?

if not then dont worry, juust give it time and they'll adjust. if you see "ragged" looking edges, try adding a little salt or a treatment of protozin.

Tracey73
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 03:12 AM
Thanks Illusn :)

I am scheduled to do a water change today so I will give the filter media a rinse in the tank water, did that a couple weeks ago as well. The spots have not spread to the other two discus, the same ones have the spots, they just don't seem to be healing. One of them has a couple 'splits' in his tail, should I add some salt to the tank?

What can I do to stop the Ph crashes?

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 04:18 AM
To stop the pH crashes, add some coral fragments to your tank. PH crashes happen when there's no buffering effect in the water, in other words, the water is too soft.

Adding calcium in the form of coral fragments or shellgrit will make the water a little harder, and therefore keep your pH more stable.

There's no hard and fast rule as to the amount. Start with a cupful either in the corner of your tank, or in the filter itself. Add more if needed.

Tracey73
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks Merrilyn :) You mean everyday bird shellgrit? If I put a small amount in a filter bag and pop it in one side of the filter would that be ok?

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 05:02 AM
Yep, that's it Tracey. Any kind of crushed shells will do, just rinse them before putting them in your tank or filter.

The shells will actually gradually dissolve, and need to be replaced after a few months, but they will gently add calcium to your water and keep your pH stable.

Tracey73
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 12:03 PM
Great :D Thanks for the help!

Tracey73
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:21 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Merrilyn that discus in your pic is incredible! Can I ask what strain he/she is? Absolutely beautiful!

Anyway getting back to why Im posting! The white spots have not cleared, and today I noticed that one of the discus is looking a bit rugged, he has splits in his tail and fin and the white spots just have not improved whatsoever. He is fine in every other way, his just looking a bit battered. I have noticed a couple other spots on a couple of the other discus as well. Water parameters are still perfect..
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 6.6
temp 29
I have added some shell grit to help stabilise the ph as well. Should I add some salt to the water or is there anything else I can do? They are all eating, happy and not rubbing on anything in the tank, but these white spots are starting to do my head in! :roll:

ILLUSN
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
add salt at 1tsp/40L if no improvement in 24 hrs add a second tsp/40L (your plants wont like this).

if need be stick that 1 fish in a hospital tank and give it a corse of protozin.

Gajowa
Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Tracey
Check this link to a Malaysian forum

http://www.discus.com.my/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=961

This could be similar to your fish's problem

Barbara

Tracey73
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
add salt at 1tsp/40L if no improvement in 24 hrs add a second tsp/40L (your plants wont like this).

if need be stick that 1 fish in a hospital tank and give it a corse of protozin.

Thanks again :) Will let you know how they are tomorrow..