PDA

View Full Version : When will a pair settle?

TimboS
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:39 AM
Hi All,

I've been out and purchased a new discus to go with my female. The idea is to try and get a breeding pair. Yes, the bloke I was dealing with told me about the shape of the anal fin as a good guess as to the sex of the fish and so I went with that and picked accordingly (where the fish is about 7cm nose to tailfin).

Well, the female hammers the new discus, especially at feeding time. The tank is really only big enough for 2, being 124L.

I recall reading that a breeding pair will settle down and not pick on one another and what-not, however the question is how long does it take two fish that are indeed seperate sexes to find that out for themselves and start liking one another? I was told that it might take up to a week for the female to settle down after introducing the new fish, however maybe she knows the newbie is female, not male, and is already acting accordingly?

She is about 1.5 years old and I am not sure about the new one, being about 7cm. Perhaps he indeed is a male and she knows this - therefore getting stuck into him to see if he is a suitable mate? (She has spawned twice before).

The female behaviour is quite funny. If she is feeding on one side of the tank and he is at the other, she will slowly drift upward and swim toward him, and then when she gets within say 15cm of him she will go full throttle. She does not wag her tail in his face and when she is close enough will only peck at him once or twice. It's almost like she enjoys the chase, and her stress bars don't show up too much during all of this.

????

Timbo

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:57 AM
Timbo, at 7cm they're just juveniles and won't be showing any type of mating behaviour at all.

At the moment, it's a case of, she was first in the tank, and he's an intruder, so she's going to let him know who's boss. They may settle, or it may get worse even if they are the opposite sex, and you may have to resort to a tank divider till they calm down.

Two young fish in a tank is never a good idea. You should think about getting another discus to add to the tank, and then maybe remove him/her when you see a pair bond forming.

Don't be fooled by the pointed anal and dorsal fin on the "male". Many years ago I bought a "pair" of blue diamonds. Even saw them spawning in the tank in the fish shop. I was delighted with finding a genuine pair. Male had long pointed fins and the female round blunt fins, just the way it should be.

Got them home into a breeding tank. Two months later discovered I had two magnificent females. :?

Yep they both laid eggs :oops:

TimboS
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks Merrilyn.

My female is actually more like 10-11cm nose to tailfin. The newbie is the little guy, and hopefully male.

I was at one of my local LFS yesterday with the intent of buying another two discus but no such luck. My wife adores white diamonds but I am not paying $72 for something with a body no bigger than a 20c piece !!

I want to keep my discus and will go to whatever lengths I need to settle things down, short of buying fish only to have to give them up later because I have no room for them. So, if I added a third, and a pair did form, I would simply divide them tank but this leaves them very little room to swim.

Just a tad confused on what to do, and whether to spend the money since the size of the third would need to also be in the $100 region.

Timbo

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:22 AM
Got them home into a breeding tank. Two months later discovered I had two magnificent females.

Yep they both laid eggs

I'm so glad i'm not the only person thats happend to.

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:42 AM
If that's the case then Timbo, stay with the two that you have and keep a close eye on them. Add some large leaf plants (plastic will do) to divide the tank off and give the little guy a place to hide.

Altering the decorations in the tank should help settle the female down too. It won't be quite the 'familiar' territory that she's used to. Just remember that if the little guy is getting picked on to the point that he's not eating, you'll have to resort to a tank divider.

TimboS
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for that valuable advice.

I do have enough plants in the tank to provide the newbie with places to hide and I have seen him eat already. It's just that the female seems to have a territorial bubble that is about 2/3 the size of the tank making it hard for the new guy to move around without getting too close to her, at least by her terms...

He is trying though - he will endevour to close in to her and stay by her side, and sometimes is successful, but mostly she won't tolerate closeness. Perhaps it's all the frustration she had to bury (when she was being picked on by other discus) that is finally coming out !!

But, at the end of the day, doing 25% water changes every 3/4 days in a 124L tank (holding probably only 110-114L of H20), could I legitimally go for three discus ? I keep my water really clean, use UV, and pick up left overs not eaten by my bristlenose and little cories.

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 05:02 AM
Your tank will definatlely accommodate three grown discus with that water change routine.

TimboS
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 05:33 AM
If a pair forms, what sort of probability is there that the third will not be chastised given the tank size?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 12, 2008, 10:21 AM
If a pair forms and they want to spawn, they will definately want to drive the other fish away.