PDA

View Full Version : BEATEN DISCUS

DiskyLady99
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
i have a 75 gallon tank...includes 9 discus and 2 angel fish...I just noticed one of my larger discus was swimming funny wen i looked closer i noticed he was completely trashed... Ripped fins scales clouded eye ect. I have been here all day for the last few days and i never noticed any suggesions on what to do to save him? I have him in a breeder net right now and i got him some extra food... PLEASE HELP!!!

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
stick him in a bare bottom tank with temp at 30-31C, add salt 1tbs/10gal (3 tsp).

watch him carefully if need be use some protozin to keep fungus and white spot at bay.

plenty of food, plenty of water changes (50%-75% daily) he'll be 100% in 3 weeks.

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Discuslady.

Sounds like your fish may have become trapped behind some of the tank decorations. When discus fight, it's just a lot of pushing and shoving and the occasional chase. I've never seen them do real damage to each other.

Do exactly as ILLUSN has suggested. Get him into a hospital tank of some kind (even a big plastic bucket will do) as soon as possible. He'll become very stressed in a net.

Your hospital tank will need a heater and an airstone, but no need for filtration. The frequent water changes will take care of any build up of ammonia in the water.

Good luck.