PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus, white poop, not eating, white spot, scratching

esperbal
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 04:02 PM
I have a VERY young discus. He is usually hyper and very social. Today I noticed this thick white poop. He is taking bites of his food and spitting it back out. He also is scratching on the plants in the tank. He is darker than normal (as he has only got his brown in fully now, he should be MUCH lighter than the pic)

He had a sibling that died a few weeks ago and that one had the same problem that this one has now. I also lost a 3" discus a week after the 1st. My adult has absolutely no symptoms and is quite normal.

I am prepping my hospital tank now, (it needs to be bumped up to 80 degrees.)

I have metro on hand and tried to feed it to him but he wont eat, at least keep it down.

Does this sound like hex and am I on the right track.
Here is a picture of him. He also seems to peck at the driftwood a lot. Kind of strange as before I never seen him do that.

Water parameters are all good
no Nitrites and very low nitrates,
water temp 83 degrees F
no ammonia
PH 6.4
VERY soft water, barely measurable

As this has occurred before, I realize that this can be fatal

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2362/2321463500_b6a73d5211.jpg

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:21 PM
It does sound like hex, but small fish like that dont handel treatment very well.

try some live food with him to get him eating again and then try to medicate the food.

esperbal
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 02:09 AM
Update, on his morning feeding is when I posted this. He didn't eat on that one. On his night-time feeding, he did eat. I fed the community (blackwater community) as I usually do. I added the metro to the diet.

Explanation of my feeding process:
some cuttings from Cyclo-peeze (http://freezerbar.com/) frozen food
a few crushed pinches of Tetra-Tropical Flake
Add water to cup and swirl till frozen food is thawed

Occasionally I add garlic, (especially when a discus gets stubborn eating)

This time I added metro (a pinch of powder) and let sit in water for about 5 minutes before feeding.

The fish in question did eat and keep it down. The poop is gone and color is back. Should I continue and if so, how long?

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 04:41 AM
once youe started a treatment finish it, feed the metro dosed food 2x daily for 5-7days.

acitve dose is 1%w/w (1g/100g of food)