PDA

View Full Version : Dead Fish

Barry N
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 10:07 AM
OK, not the discus, but most of the tetras in my 4x2x2 planted tank.

Background: water change yesterday (Usual 50% with prime), gets W/C every 2 days. Temp has been real hot all week here in Adelaide - tank temp sitting around 32-33 degrees all week. Everything looked fine last night.
PH 6.8, Ammonia, Nitrite = 0; Nitrate = 5-10ppm - none of this has changed in ages. Tanks been up for 18 months no issues. 2 x big eheims.

This morning - 8 rummy nose and 6 cardinals all dead. No visible signs on the bodies of anything.

Discus - slightly increased respiration, colour good, fins not clamped, not gasping at top or anything. Corys and BN all look fine.

I've done 2 x 80% W/C's today, put in a couple of airstones to increase the gas exchange. Temp still 32 so have directed the ducted aircon onto the tank.

Question - what killed the tetras so suddenly? Temperature? Anything more I can do or look out for?

Thanks as always.

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 12:35 PM
temp will do it, try increasing the o2 in the tank, did you introduce any new fish, dad wiped out all my rummynoses and cardinals when he picked up some new cardinals " at a cchhep price" :roll:

Barry N
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 01:34 AM
thanks ILLUSN. :) I've cranked up the flow on the canisters and added the airstones to get the O2 up. No, no new fish added for months.

The discus are doing OK this morning - apart from the 4 hour power cut we had!!!

Greggy
Wed Mar 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
Get a few 2L plastic coke bottles and almost fill them full of water, put the lid back on then freeze them. Once fully fozen place one bottle at a time in the the tank so that it cools the water slowly. Keep an eye on the temp, if it starts getting too low (say below 27) remove the bottle... if the temp does not go down enough add another bottle. Once the bottles thaw out re-freeze them and cycle in another bottle already frozen and ready to go.

That should take care of that heat-wave you guys in Adelaide are having!

Regards,

Greggy

Barry N
Sat Mar 15, 2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks Greggy. Done just that and all is good again. :D

With the high temp I lost most of my crypts again though... :(

We are expecting a bit of temperature relief next Wednesday - bring it on!