PDA

View Full Version : Flowerhorn (Gubby)

ivo
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:21 AM
Here is my first flowerhorn that i purchased from another member on this forum. Never have kept such big and aggressive fish before, but i think i am more used to it now. It is currently in a small tank but i will get him (i called him gubby) a bigger tank later. I place him about 2m away from my main discus tank and he does not show any sign of wanting to attack my discus. Everytime when i feed my discus he thinks its meal time for him too. Hope you like it and hopefully it will develop the "kok" after i put him in a bigger tank, but i was told that it may take up to one year. Don't have any experience with flowerhorn but thank you for nicholas who kindly passed on lots of advice, and the guy i purchased from.

ivo
Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:23 AM
One more picture. I thought it is such aggressive fish so i used pink colour background paper just to camp him up a bit!

Hawaiianstyle
Fri Mar 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
Stunning FH! Love it!!!

nicholas76
Sat Mar 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
Stunning 8-) 8-) 8-) :D

Barry N
Sun Mar 16, 2008, 01:46 AM
FH aren't my normal "cup of tea" - BUT, that's a stunning looking fish you have there ivo. Great colouring. :D

ivo
Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks for liking my flowerhorn. FH was never my thing either cos they are so aggressive and one fish one tank is never my thing. But when i saw it i thought why not to try to have one...something different. It starts to grow a double chin i am not sure whether it is getting too fat from the food i gave him or it is part of it's development, and yes the colour of it attracted me to purchase it. Must say it has fair a bit of characters and it does not like my cockateil for sure, and vice versa.

AHC
Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:28 PM
Beautiful ivo. i Love him. These fish are awesome to play with. Me and my partner were staring at one in a fish shop about 3 months back and i couldnt believe how much he wanted to get out of the tank and "go us". Very interesting to watch them. Love his colour.

ivo
Wed May 07, 2008, 11:46 AM
Not everyone cup of tea and he is my first flowerhorn. I am amazed how easy it is to keep. I started a new bigger tank for him and he lives through the cycling of new tank and filter without any problem. Tough cookie. I am also very please how well his head has developed after couple of months. BTW, he loves playing with plastic bird's toys. Hope you like him too!

nicholas76
Wed May 07, 2008, 12:27 PM
AWSUM

ivo
Wed May 07, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks Nicholas! Now that i use a shiny foil looking type of background paper he is too busy to bang on his reflection instead of me!

AHC
Thu May 08, 2008, 02:19 AM
hehehe, lots of character. They are like a dog. I wouldnt mind having one just for their character. How big of a tank do they need?

Matt15
Thu May 08, 2008, 03:34 AM
lol @ the ladder bird toy ivo. What a gorgeous big fish mate :D

ivo
Thu May 08, 2008, 01:28 PM
i think they are supposed to be in a 4 foot tank but i can only have space and got him a 200L tank only. i do however, bought a canister filter plus UV light and so far he is very healthy, and perhaps too much energy. yes he loves the plastic bird ladder toy and there is a plastic bird chain of rings in the tank too. he loves pushing those toys around especially after i turn off the aquarium light. his tank is one meter away and i swear quite often he will stay still on one side and stares at the discus....he was probably thinking food...food..food..