PDA

View Full Version : My Home Made Food is Going every Where!

dalethewhale
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:56 AM
G'day Guys

I took the best bits of everyone’s DIY Discus recipes and made my own. Not owning a mincer I used a food processor. I ended up with a food so fine that it resembled the consistency of baby food.

Now when I feed it (yes the fish love it and I am very happy with my first DIY food!) a large amount of this food ‘mist ‘ ends up in the water column. The finest parts stay in suspension for a very long time. I vacuum bottom of the tank after feeding but there is still a lot of the uneaten food ending up in the filter.

I use a canister filter. Aeration is turned off during feeding and the canisters spray bar points directly back at the glass, so I am doing all I can to minimise any current during feeding. Just the fish getting stuck into their tucker creates a mini sand storm.!

I would like to avoid the need to clean the mechanical sponge filter section in my Fuval every day if possible. Water changes are at about 15% per day ( 3ft tank)

I have heard the use of gelatine and or agar can be used to bind them. Also heard that gelatine can dissolve in warm discus water?

Can anyone advise me on their success/lack of , with binders such as gelatine and or agar?
Also does the use of a grinder mean slightly larger food particles that stay on the bottom at bit more easily? (Thus negating a binder?)

Thank you in advance for answering all of my Discus newbie questions
Dale the Whale

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 01:41 AM
i use geletine and it works well, if you were in syd i'd swap you some food cause yours sounds great 4 fry.

try wrapping the filter intake with some filter wool, or a sponge and a rubber band during feedings, after the feed, just remove it and rinse it clean, should stop all but the finest reaching your filter.

the german
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:10 AM
i wouldnt use it,to fine is to fine,get yourself a mincer you get a good one for 30$
all the hassel with the filter wool everttime yoy feed.........
i think its not worth it

AHC
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:10 AM
Hi,

One batch of my first mix was like that. I feed smaller amounts at a time so they eat it quicker. Once i go through all my food, which i have so much of mind you, i am going to swap the processor for a grinder as i hear its much better.... unless you want fry food like ILLUSN said.

dalethewhale
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:21 AM
Thankyou very much guys for all of your prompt reply's.

I would like to aviod the prefilter hassle, and regardlesss of amount feed, it is to fine for me to avoid the 'discus in the mist' syndrome :o

So it seems i have two options to avoid this potential constant water qulaity headache;
1) buy mincer
2) find out how to use the gelatine effectively.

So, how does one use gelatine effectively? And what results does it give you?

Cheers gang. The responses were brillant.

PS the food processor i used was 450 dollar industrial kitchen type with a enigine big enough to power a kingswood! So i was talking about some fine food pieces!!!!

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:44 AM
i use about a tablespoon per kg or 2 of food, just disolve it in some hot water, just enough to make it disolve and add it to your food when you mix it up.

such a pity your not closer.