PDA

View Full Version : color loss, freaking out, and spinning in tight circles

leylai22
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 07:51 AM
hello, my female discus has recently been acting strange...

she seems fine for the most part but, occasionally, she'll freak out for no apparent reason, and start darting around the tank and almost jumps off the tank, then will go into these very tight spins... like making donuts on a motorbike... it's really worrisome to see her do this, it's as if she's panicking/going into a trance almost... it lasts some 20 seconds or so and then she'll breathe a little heavy and go right back to normal, cruising around the tank calmly and foraging for bits of food...

her colors are a little pale as well.

The water is good, same as always, nothing has really changed, and the other discus seems normal..
I am noticing some brown algae spots in the tank, but it's not really overwhelming or anything

anyone have any idea what this could be?

thanks

scott bowler
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:14 AM
sounds like your fish has fittes, i have heard of fish doing it before some have died from it hitting the end of the tank, i realy dont know if there is any thing you can do, there is a tread on here some were that talks about it , it happens in wilds some times , sorry i cant help more , i will try to find the thread ,

samir
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:57 AM
treat them for flukes and see if it makes a difference

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:18 AM
if the fluke treatment doesn't work remove anyobjects from the tank that she can injur herself on, one of my breeders does this, she's fine in a bare bottom breedeing tank, but useless for raising fry.

TimboS
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:57 AM
I too had a discus like this. Absolute stunner, but the worst happened - somehow, and I really do mean somehow since I'll be damned if I know how, during the night the fish managed to get out between the glass plates covering the tank and was trapped on top, leading to the inevitable surprise in the morning.

These fits came on out of the blue and to this day I am unsure as to why. I wish I could help more other than to say you are not alone with the problem.