PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Genie

Jules
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:26 AM
HI to everyone wherever you are i am corresponding from Christmas Island, For those of you who don't know where that is we are approxx 300 kms south of Indonesia and we are a territory of Australia.
I have been wanting to set up a tank for quite a while now as i was given a 500litre tank. It has been sitting in my lounge room empty for months. I bought 2 aquqa genies after seeing them on the new inventors and have filled my tank and have it all running but alas still no fish, except for a very extatic goldfish and a couple of guppies. Due to our location and quarantine regulations it can be very difficult to get what you want and involves a lot of paperwork and time. A local trader has imported 20 red discus from Malaysia they have been in quarantine and she tells me she is now ready to sell them. I know all the sites say not for beginners but i have done a lot of research and am confident that i will be successful. What i want to know will the 2 aqua genies be enough or will i need another type of filtration for these fish? I am aware the genies need to run for 4-6 weeks for the bacteria to develop properly. I also would like to know if it is ok to have snails in the tank or will the discus eat them?
Thankyou i look forward to a reply jules

scott bowler
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:45 AM
hi jules
welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the learning with us ,
ok i have had a look at the aqua genies and i dont think they will do a good enough job as a filter for you on a tank of 500 lts , im sorry you should geta power filter of sorts ,
i hpe it all goes well for you kep us informed on how you go , oh and lots of pics here we love pics lol

Matt15
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the Discus Forums Jules.

What Scott has said is correct. Those air powered Aqua Genies certainly aren't enough filtration for a tank of 500 litres. You need a large canister filter of some sort especially for Discus who require well filtered, clean water.
If you need something sent to you I would highly recommend u visit some of our forum sponsors here.
Anyho, good luck with your new discus and be sure to keep us posted on your progress and of course show us some pics...;)

Jules
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks so much Scott & Matt. there is a large black cannister looking filter that came with the unit but i have no idea how to use it or put it together so it looks like i have more research and learning to do lucky i still have at least 4 weeks before i can get my fish

Matt15
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:27 AM
Mmmm... thats stange. In the Aqua Genie youtube clip they advertise 3 different units. One of these being the black canister unit. This one isn't advertised on there website nor on the Inventors program thou so the one in that clip might only be a prototype. However feel free to post a pic of this black thing should your instructions be too hard to understand....;)

Jules
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 07:12 AM
I'm so sorry Matt by unit i meant my fish tank it is a Jebao 815 it has 3 baskets inside it an in and out inlets on the top of the outside and a start control knob i have been reading other things on the forums about filters but doesn't seem to describe this one. This one is quite heavy in the lid section and has a power cord so i am presuming it doesn't need an extra air pump source. as you can tell i am a real newbie at all this again sorry for the confusion this filter has nothing to do with the aqua genie thanks