PDA

View Full Version : Male Betta with Breeding Apisto

TW
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:06 AM
I have a male Betta that I would like to rehouse in one of my bigger tanks, as I always seem to miss cleaning out the Betta tank, even though it's the littlest. The only suitable tank is one I have set up with a trio of apistos I hope to get fry from. I already have one male Betta in my discus community tank, so this one can't go in with the discs. In the discus tank, the Betta always stays in the top levels of the tank - never venturing even close to the bottom.

For this other Betta, the breeding tank is 2 foot deep, so I'm thinking the apoisto fry, who would stay at the bottom with mum, would be safe.

What do you think - how much of a threat would the Betta be to any potential fry.

Thanks for any advice.

TW
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:19 AM
I should add that it's actually a divided tank 3 foot tank. Total dimensions are 36" long x 19" wide x 24" high, divided equally into 2 halves. I would like to add a male betta to each half. Both halfs contain dwarfs I'd like to breed.

Love to hear any advice you guys could give me. Here's a couple pics of the tank, so you have an idea of what the housing situation is like.

1st pic shows the front (but from an angle), 2nd is a side view, looking through both halves.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/74G%20Divided%20Tank/8000_1730.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/74G%20Divided%20Tank/9000_1731.jpg

Plants are quite a bit fuller now, so there is plenty of ground cover.

If it's a bad idea, in regards to dwarf fry survival, I won't do it.

Thanks in advance.

*Chris*
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:20 PM
thast a grouse looking set up you got there i probably wouldnt put the fighter in there unless he is in a specific betta box within the tank
the appistos can be very territorial might shred his fins

zar
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:41 PM
i recently tried that. didnt work out. the apistos were giving the beta a fin trim every night :) had to take em out.
But then again, give it a try if you like, i doubt they'll kill him, if you see his fins nipped then just take him out, your tank is much bigger than the one i tried it in.

TW
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:02 AM
The issue of my dwarves giving the Betta a hard time hadn't occured to me, as currently in the discus tank I have a male Betta living with dwarves (pair each of cac, borelli, macmasterii plus 3 kribs that were born in the tank) plus my discus. If anyone is giving anyone a hard time, the Betta is nipping the Borelli's fins, if the Borelli is silly enough to go to the upper levels, where the Betta lives. The other dwarves never go above mid level & the Betta never goes below mid level - only the Borelli ventures too high sometimes, but does so seldomly.

Of course, the dwarves in this other tank may act differently (pt.nigerian red & agi). Iif they were aggressive to the Betta, I would certainly remove the Betta straight away.

It's more whether the Betta would be a threat to apisto fry. Seems by what you've said, he wouldn't be a threat. If anyone thinks differently, I'd be keen to hear your opinion.

Thanks for both the replies :)

zar
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:46 AM
I haven't seen the beta attack my cacatoides, i've seen him have a go at a blue ram though so who knows, it's up to the individual fish i think.
i once kept a beta with several guppies, no problems, bought one new guppy and he started nipping the betas fins within seconds in the tank. I think it depends a lot on the size of the tank you keep them in as well. the tanks you have look pretty big.
But with fry, betas love to eat live foods, i.e fry , he's quite slow though and since the female protects the fry it might be ok in the beginning, you'll have to take him out at some stage though.

fishgeek
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 08:05 AM
betta's are relatively slow moving fish, well the domesticated long finned versions anyway

i very much doubt he will cause your fry a real threat
if he does go near them i am sure that, that will be the end of the betta

an aisto is so much more capable of seriously damaging a betta

your tank appears to have enough area for cover and hiding should aggression arise, my concern would be for the betta though

TW
Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks all. Well, I've added a male betta to each half. So far, everyone ignores each other, but I guess that would change with fry & if the Betta ventures too close.

Rest assured, anyone pics on the Betta & he will be removed.

It's great to help with all my questions - thanks once again :D