PDA

View Full Version : One discus to become three

TimboS
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:49 AM
Hi All,

I have bit of a problem in my tank where maybe just maybe what I thought was a breeding pair (since spawning had occured but no wrigglers) is actually more than likely two females.

Yes, there's aggression and the tank is not big enough for the two of them it would seem.

Following excellent advice from particular members of this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I will be trading in the aggressor for two new juveniles, which would make 3 discus in my 124L tank. But, 3 is an odd number so I think I will shell out for a fourth to see if, fingers crossed, I can get a breeding pair if not two pair from it.

Everything is set to go. When the new fish go in the tank it will be the last day of a Sterazin treatment and a UV system I purchased will switch on for good the next day.

But I have a general question. Let's say I actually get two breeding pair out of this. (I can live in a fantasy world can't I !!) Will a tank of 124L provide enough space for two breeding pair to get on without an absolute slugfest? My tank is planted, and there is driftwood, so there are obstacles within the tank that could break it into "zones" I guess you could say. (Note that when they become sub-adult one pair would be moved to another tank).

I have seen multiple breeding pair, with eggs, living in harmony in a 600L tank, however that tank was much wider than it was deep or high so from a cross section point of view, they could not swin past one another all that easily. As such one pair was at one end, and another lot at the other - makes sense I think.

I guess it all boils down to this - can two breeding pair get on within close distance of one another, or at least "get used" to one anothers presence?

Timbo

the german
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:26 AM
nah wont work mate,but you can grow them in there for a while,not too long so they need 40-50l per fish.
and when you think about breeding so or so you have to get more tanks :D

TimboS
Mon Mar 24, 2008, 07:15 AM
No doubt there's some seriously good advice on this forum, however sometimes you still have to make mistakes for yourself to be sure about your own situation.

I swapped my aggressor for another discus and the victim became the aggressor for about 9 days. Now, she only goes at the new fish around feeding time. However, with a functioning UV system, carbon and zeolite aged water, and, two 1/4 to 1/3rd water changes per week, I decided to increase my bioload and got another two discus. These little chaps however are still only little indeed being only a couple of inches at most from nose to end of tail fin.

Well, the tank is so harmonious I could almost right a song about it.

Granted things will change when they grow more, however I have the intention to keep them all, so ,yes, more tanks are on the horizon!