PDA

View Full Version : New to discus

zeta054
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:02 AM
I just picked up 4 discus for 12 dollars each! they look relatively young about 2-3 inches. they look black and white striped. I have them in a planted community tank with 4 panda cats, 3 SAE, 12 neon tetras, 2 dwarf frogs, 4 dwarf gouramis. I planned to add 2 more ottos, and maybe another small school of a diff type of corys. Was wondering if this is too much stock for a 55g planted tank no Co2 currently. water temp is at 82 water change weekly. filter is a fluval 305. Got them yesterday morning and fed hikari dried bloodworms. Any general tips?

the german
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:04 AM
how much is 82 in celsius? you need min 29oC food:beefheart!+ BW BS...
very important when you want good size discus.
you say they are black with white stripes? can you send a pic?

zeta054
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:09 AM
sorry 82 farenheit. I will try to take pics tonight.

the german
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:22 AM
thats 27.7oC so you should go a bit up in temp say 84.

zar
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:50 AM
Discus at that size need a lot of water changes and a lot of feeding
probably 4 times a day,
Do as many water changes as you can do, you'd be better of doing water changes at least twice a week rather than once.
It wont be easy for you to raise them in a community tank, it's a pain when medicating, you have to consider if other fishes can take the medication,
its a pain when cleaning, you have to syphon the gravel regularly etc, you might disturb your plants etc, you have to make sure your other fish can take the high temps that discus want, some of your fish might not be too good with eating beef heart...

Having said all this, you can raise them in your planted tank, but it would be much easier for you if you'd raise em in a discus only tank, bare bottom or bit of gravel, something to hide behind, 29C and lots of feeding and water changes.

zeta054
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:11 AM
crap i have a 10 G will that work for now?

zar
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 04:34 AM
That is definitely too small for growing out 4 discus. You're better of keeping them in your planted tank then.
If you can get something around at least 25 to 30 gallon that'd be good.
If you can't get another tank, try to do as many water changes as you can and if you manage to keep them disease free you should be fine.. they should still grow ok.

zeta054
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:55 AM
ok im planning to get some sinking food for them tomorrow. any suggestions? they seem to hide at the bottom in between the plants so i was thinking of dropping em down there. The blood worms dont sink and they rarely come up to the top. plus the gouramis get to em before the discus do.

zar
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:38 PM
There is a lot of granulated food for discus out there, sera discus granules and tetra color bits are quite popular.
See how you go with gouramis, i had dwarf and normal gouramis with discus long time ago and it didnt work out, the gouramis were chasing my discus too much so i got rid of them..