PDA

View Full Version : Snails Problem

peppermintman
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi all i have a snail problem and the are getting out of control. I have Clown loaches and they seems to be doing nothing. They are snails with a spiral shell. Any ideas to get rid of them with out hurting my plants.

scott bowler
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:02 AM
with the little live bearers there isnt a lo you can do , you may have to catch them out with a bottle , but even then you will still have them , or you will have to strip you tank down get rid of the gravel , they can live in it for ever ,so never use it again throw it away , sorry there realy isnt much you can do for theses guys , they sux bad .

zar
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:06 AM
Have you tried using any products, there is a couple around, i think aqua master make one, snail rid or something like that.
i have the same problem but i dont bother anymore, just take the big ones out whenever i see them and tahts it.
and scott is right, i had gravel left for weeks, probably months, put it in a clean tank and i had snails again...last time though i boiled the gravel before i used it and that seemed to have killed em.

DiscusEden
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 06:22 AM
I was told you can reduce their numbers by putting in a piece of pumpkin, then pulling it out covered in snails after lights out.

Apparently they're nocturnal & the other thing you can do is get a sponge/ cloth & wipe them off the glass after lights out.

HTH a little.

gypsy3
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 07:26 AM
i just kept squashing the little buggers every time i saw them on the glass - eventually got 'em all! lol

Noddy65
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 08:41 AM
Ive found YoYo Loaches to be great for snail control....try and keep away from the snail killers,,,theyll kill your snails, maybe some fish and will certainly foul your tank with all the little dead snail bodies.

If the snails arent eating your plants then they can be good for plants, digging through the substrate, keeping it nice and open.

Mike

n_w_b
Tue May 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
Ive found YoYo Loaches to be great for snail control....try and keep away from the snail killers,,,theyll kill your snails, maybe some fish and will certainly foul your tank with all the little dead snail bodies.

If the snails arent eating your plants then they can be good for plants, digging through the substrate, keeping it nice and open.

Mike

lol, I have those, and boy they annoy the crap out of my other fish... They seem to eat squished snails instead of live ones. The flying fox stop eating algae when they grow bigger or have better food, I wonder when these loachies will stop eating snails.....