PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole Prazi _ Bird Wormer for soaking food

TW
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:29 PM
I know we are to avoid bird worming mixtures of Levamisole, as they contain glucose (more palatable to birds) & that the glucose will cause a bacterial bloom & could be fatal to the fish.

But another hobbyist tells me she uses Avitrol Plus (a bird wormer that contains Levamisole & prazi). I forgot to ask how she uses it, so not sure if the tank is dosed, or if food is soaked in it.

I'm wondering if the glucose is only a problem when dosing the tank water. What about if you only use it to soak some pellet food in?

I would still follow the normal regime of dosing tank water :
Week 1 - Big L Pig & Poultry,
Week 2 & 3: prazi crushed tablets
Week 4: Big L Pig & Poultry

In addition, I'd like to get some prazi into my fish's tummy. I have already dosed with Big L & they've eaten food soaked with Big L. But I'd like to get some Prazi in their tummy too.

Does anyone think it would be ok to soak some pellet food in the Avitrol Plus Bird worming solution. It contains 2mg/ml prazi.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:38 PM
you could give it a go, the effective dose of prazi in food is 400mg/100g.

you'll have to guestimate how much food to add to the liquid.

the other option is to crush up a few tablets and mix them with some frozen food and just feed the fish, that way it goes strait to the gut.

TW
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks ILLUSN
option is to crush up a few tablets and mix them with some frozen food Tried that, but the apistos don't recognise the frozen stuff as worms. For my discus & other fish in the discus tank, it would work well.

These 2 girls have worms (swollen anus & you can see the worms hanging out) so I think they are pretty much gonners, if I can't get meds to work. Shame, as one girl has a new batch of fry.

I guess I will risk it. Thanks for your advice.