im having a bit of a problem with mt dwarf sag, its yellowing
the older leaves go first then the younger ones
i tried plant jobes but it just makes it grow more
and more shoots then the shoots yellow aswell
any ideas
all the other plants seem to love it especially the swords

revkev
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:37 AM
May be lack of iron try Seachem flourish iron.
lourish Iron™ is a highly concentrated (10,000 mg/L) ferrous iron (Fe+2) gluconate supplement. It should be used in those cases where the iron requirements exceed that which can be delivered by Flourish™ at the recommended dose or signs of iron deficiency appear (such as short and slender stems or yellowing between veins.) Plants are able to much more easily derive a benefit from Flourish Iron™ than from EDTA-iron sources because all EDTA iron is in the ferric (Fe+3) state. Since plants require iron in the ferrous state, additional physiological energy must be expended in order to extract the ferric iron from EDTA-iron and then convert it to the ferrous form. Contains no phosphate or nitrate

fishgeek
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:34 AM
here's my logic... in other words i'm making this up on th fly so take it as you will

chlorophyll is green , chlorophyll is a organic carbon and nitrogen dominated molecule(not sure i think it is)
i assume jobes are an aquatic fertiliser and have mainly trace elements, i could be wrong, and dont contain a nitrogen source

therefore my guess is low nitrogen maybe causing an issue

yellowing is associated with almost every plant deficency
have a look up plant deficecny signs , post or at least read what the jobes and any other ferts you use contain

andrew

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:48 PM
the jobes sticks are NPK only, so no trace elements, try adding epson salts to the water, sounds like a mg deficiency to me, just a 1/4tsp /100L should do it.

it soundls like they are extracting needed elements from the older leaves to feed the younger, if the older go first.

if you dont see improvement within a week add iron in addition to the mg.

Noddy65
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 08:48 AM
Check out this site for a list of signs and deficiencies

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Mike :)

alan j t
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:47 PM
ill try the epsom first
ten iron if nede
thanks guys

alan j t
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:15 PM
the jobes sticks are NPK only, so no trace elements, try adding epson salts to the water, sounds like a mg deficiency to me, just a 1/4tsp /100L should do it.

it soundls like they are extracting needed elements from the older leaves to feed the younger, if the older go first.

if you dont see improvement within a week add iron in addition to the mg.
well the epsom worked for a while
a added a tbls at every water change more plants more growth
but then it started again the yellowing
so i started adding iron
same thing everythings well for a little while
not all the sag is yellowing but alot still is yellowing
the sag is growing to the top of the tank now over 12 inches
i never thought sag could grow that tall and so fast,faster than my amazon swords
my question are;
can i add anything else to help stop the yellowing?
and is this really sag or some that looks like it?

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 05:56 AM
try adding a good trace element mix, keep up the macros (N and K especially), supplement Fe and Mg, the other elements needed are B Be Li Mo but only in trace ammounts (pretty much below the dection limit of anything but an analytical chem lab).

hows your substrate, a common problem is the substrate itself makes it difficult for the roots acess the ferts.

Sag will grow big and quick if its happy, the opther problem might be your light, if your using T8's change them every 6-9months.
T5's are good for a year, CF around 9 months.

alan j t
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 05:25 PM
hey thankx for the reply
ill check the lfs for some trace elements

my substrate is mostly flourite and some gravel
i guess about 80/20

my lights are due for some new tubes
some of my t5's are about a year old
i have 4 tubes 2 10000k 1 for plants i forgot how much k
and one atinic
i know the atinic is useless for plant life but its on for a little when its light out