PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 03:03 AM
Hello,

I had a silly question regarding sponge filters.

I was wondering if anyone has attached a sponge filter to the intake of their canister filters, as you can attach power heads to most sponge filters.

I was just wondering what effect this would have on the flow / intake of the filter.

I’m currently running an Ehiem 2215 canister and a twin fish PF400 internal.

Regards

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:23 AM
i have heard of people doing it with great results. you get the benefit of stopping all the crap in your tank ending up in your canister (and it's easy to syphon off the sides of your sponge), and the increased water flow through your benefitial bacteria in your sponge. i don't think it would effect your flow rate much if at all

i don't personally do this but have heard it works well.

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 04:36 AM
Thanks,

That what I thought as well, but it just sounds too good to work.

Once again thanks

milt master p
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:35 AM
I run via aqua 750's on my tanks and use a piece of sponge filter (otto brand) that slips nicely over the filter intake. It helps catch a lot of crud (which can be easily removed with washing) but when it clogs (can see the sponge distort) it slows down my fluidized bed filters. There are two grades of the otto filter a coarse and fine grades. I have tried both and have found that the fine clogs up to easily.

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:48 AM
Thanks,

I was looking at a coarse type filter, now it's trying to find something at LFS.

(Washing shouldn't be a prob, have to wash internal filter sponge once a week anyway.

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 06:00 AM
i do use a prefilter sponge.....see picture

i think they are a must if you want to use a canister filter with discus

Davo
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 07:19 AM
Matt,

Where did you get it from?

Thanks,
Dave.

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:45 AM
Do any melbournites know of a good LFS ?

I'm at Doncaster East and the closest LFS is mega expensive.

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:18 AM
get them from trans aquarium.... you get 2 for about $10

they are pretty good and last a couple of months if you regularly clean and squeeze them.