PDA

View Full Version : Do I have anything to be worried about?

albatrozz
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
My planted tank seems to be infested with bugs.
The first type of bug is probably as big as a grain of sand. They are like fleas and jump, they DO NOT sink and live on the glass, just above the water level. They float sometimes on the surface of the water just randomly hopping around (they can hop to about 10cm).
The other bug is also a very tiny one, white in colour. This one CAN sink and swims around the water. It however stays on the top 20% of the water level. The swim around pretty fast but after swimming around they go to the surface, dont know why.
Do i have anything to be worried about? Can these critters harm my fish? How can i get rid of them?

zar
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 03:14 PM
They're not harmful to your fish, but it's a sign that you have a lot of debris in your gravel, make sure you syphon the gravel thoroughly and don't overfeed.
there is a sticky in the discus questions 101 section on here, read that.

albatrozz
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 10:01 PM
theyre surely not planaria zar.
beginning to think that its flukes since i can see them on the bottom of my BB tank as well, they swim up and look kinda like new born BBS. But ive just treated flukes 2 days ago :?

scott bowler
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 11:21 PM
albatrozz
i dont think you have any thing to worry about , there is heaps of little bugs that are in the water .

the german
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:40 AM
i guess they are water mites

albatrozz
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 04:47 AM
Can they harm my discus? I also cleaned up my gravel and to my surprise found live red worms stuck on the roots of my plants, they ARE NOT live bloodworms, they kinda look like tapeworms. Their head is white and the body is red. What type of worms are these? :?

MSD
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 06:45 PM
Drink of water? Uh, no thanks.... :lol: