PDA

View Full Version : Gday from Bugly in Brisbane

bugly
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
Stumbles across this forum while searching for info on discus'. A lot of great information and helpful people.

I kept discus about 10 years ago while living in the Hunter Valley. When we eventually returned to Brisbane I got fish tanks again but this time only a single tank. Kept rift lake cichlids and then Central Americans but always had a soft spot for Discus so I decided to bite the bullet and get rid of the severums etc.

The tank is only a 48 X 18 X 18 but I suppose as the discus grow the tank may have to also. I figure a 72 X 24 X 24 would be a good size for an planted community tank built around the discus. The discus population is settling in all young fish ranging in size from 4 to 9cm.

2 blue diamonds
1 white swan
1 blue turque
1 pidgeon
1 'flamingo'
1 ' ogden'.

The last 2 are german imports to a LFS. ( Yep the tank will have to grow with the fish). Will post some photos this weekend

Cheers

Bugly

Matt15
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:25 AM
Welcome Bugly...;)

Hunter Valley must of been a hard place to leave cause its so beautiful. Where in Brisbane are you residing?

Can't wait to see photos of your discus mate.

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Bugly.

Lots of people take a break from discus, but somehow we always seem to come back to them :P

Must be some kind of disease :lol:

bugly
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:34 AM
@Matt went from HV to Calgary AB Canada for 3 years - ( well work took me to the states and South America for about a year). That was hard to leave. Especially the mountains.

Living in the Salisbury area directly next to Griffith Uni.

@ Merrilyn the quality of the fish is certainly better. Discus are just so serene - really can just watch them for hours.

Always love cichlids my next 2 favourites are the L multifaciatus (shell dweller) and the N brichardi both magnificant little fish.

Thank you for your greeting - may catch up one day Matt.

Cheers

Bugly

albatrozz
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 11:20 AM
Welcome bugly
Can't believe you left HV..... that place is so stunning

bugly
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:08 AM
Albatrozz - I enjoyed the HV (in fact I spent some time there when I was a kid) but our friends and family live in Qld so its the natural place to move back to. Personally I found it very hard to leave Canada.

bugly
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:21 AM
Albatrozz - I enjoyed the HV (in fact I spent some time there when I was a kid) but our friends and family live in Qld so its the natural place to move back to. Personally I found it very hard to leave Canada.

Some photos are uploaded to the photo gallery - not sure how to link them here.

Cheers

Bugly