PDA

View Full Version : What Breed?

Gone Fishing
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi All,
I'm having trouble AGAIN :x with breed/colour description. MATT15 has described his fish below;
__________________________________________________ ________-
G'day Gone Fishing.

Mate i have seven Discus atm and all are in my sig at the bottom of all my posts.

They are:
1x blue diamond
1x Snow leopard
1x Cobolt Blue
1x Turq snakeskin
1x Red melon
1x Yellow melon
1x Checkerboard pigeonblood

Cheers Matt Wink

Can anyone confirm his description of;
-Yellow Melon
-Blue Cobolt
-Red Melon

I was hoping to get these three, but I was told to get a melon with yellow and red it is probably artificially coloured that way. Is that true?
I find it incredibly frustrating :roll: that every time I ask for a melon or red melon(I'm not sure there is a difference or what the difference is) they bring out a white faced edition, not yellow.
What do you ask for to get a yellow & red type of melon and more importantly where do you get a 10-12cm size of these?

Kindly Fishy Regards
Jason

zar
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hmm not sure if there is a yellow faced and a white faced red melon.
Actually, a yellow face is undesirable from what i know, i'm currently trying to keep the face of my melon white, it's gone a bit yellow recently.
I think the color of the face has a lot to do with the food you feed it. a lot of people complain that tetra color bits makes their fish orange, so if you want a yellow faced melon, just buy one and keep feeding him color bits, and maybe put extra carrot in your beef heart mix.
I think its more that white face and red body are hormone fed than yellow face and red body but someone might know more on this.

Matt15
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:29 AM
Jason, maybe this can help you.

Pigeon bloods lack vertical stress bars and range in color from nearly solid white through yellow, orange, to a deep orangey red. They can be almost solid in color, striated with thick lines, thin lines, pearled or anything in between. Many are being bred with an overlay of red spots on the body. Pepper is a characteristic shared by all pigeon based discus. These small, black specks of pigment usually appear on the nose and face and are more prominent when the discus is stressed or ill. The newer strains of pigeons are being bred with less pepper. The pigeon blood gene is dominant. A Pure pigeon bred to any other discus will produce all pigeon fry. If the breeding is to a discus with vertical stress bars the fry may be heavily peppered. Pigeon based discus are sold under many names such as Marlboro, Melon, Tangerine, White Butterfly, Blue Panda and Golden.

INFO FROM
http://www.discusnada.org/discus/classification.html

Gone Fishing
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 04:14 AM
Hi MATT15,
Thankyou very much!!!
I had no idea there were classifications within classifications.
I wish the LFS's were more ready to divulge this information. As you see it's been a stumbling block for me.

Sorry if I doubted your word. Just making sure.

I've done myself a big favor and ordered "The Naked Truth" from ebay. Scored for $85.
I think my discus keeping and breeding is going to take a step up.

Many Fishy Regards
Jason

Matt15
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 05:46 AM
I wish the LFS's were more ready to divulge this information.

Np mate.....
You'll proberly find that its just there lack of information/knowledge rather than them being ready to divulge it. I've found soo many lfs who haven't a clue about the different discus strains and the correct/proper names.
I'm no expert but i'm a learner of life and enjoy sharing what info i have come across over the past few months. Glad it has helped...;)