PDA

View Full Version : general question for bringing discus home

dandaman352
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 01:09 AM
Well hearing all these stories about DOA discus from shipping I decided that this saturday i'm gonna drive to the hatchery myself (discusmadness.com) instead of shipping. Its about 1 hour away but with possible new york traffic conditions lets say 1 and a half to get home. I have 3 in the tank now that are doing well minus the 1 that gets bullied (which is why i'm buying a couple of more). Well first off how many should i buy (i have the space) also whats the best way to get them home safe with no problems. Any advice will do. Thanks.

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 01:25 AM
get a styrophom box.

each fish must be singled baged with O2 not air and enough water to keep the fish wet while upright.

double bag each fish and wrap the bag in newspaper to keep them dark.

once packed in the box use more newspaper or inflated bags so they cant move. put a lid on the box to keep the heat in.

in the car keep the box out of direct sun.

go directly home, no stops or scenic routes just get them home ASAP and they will be fine!

dandaman352
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:02 AM
thank you so much. I'll let you know how it turns out!

the german
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:09 AM
1.5h is nothing you should be able to transport them in a bucket :wink:

Matt15
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 05:08 AM
Yeh the olde bucket with a lid does the trick for short trips.

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:02 AM
It worked perfectly, the breeder put in some methylyn blue (whatever its called) to sedate them a bit and they all made it perfectly to their new home and they look very happy. I'll be sure to post some pics up soon. Thanks for the help.