PDA

View Full Version : Eco complete

moldyform
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:34 AM
G'day, i am tossing up weather to use eco complete or not?? Can any one post a picture of what it looks like in the tank??

Thanks

Matt15
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:37 AM
Google
http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=eco+complete+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

moldyform
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 09:17 PM
It seems there is a wet mix and a dry mix. Whats the difference between the two and which is the best to buy?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
I believe there were some quality control issues with wet mix in the US.

I've never had a problem with the dry version.

moldyform
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:19 PM
In the US? Is that the case in Australia? OR does or wet mix come from the US?

Is there any benifit in using a wet mix?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:29 PM
we've never had acess to the wet mix here in oz before, So i cant comment, I assume its the same product sold world wide.

moldyform
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
AOA sells it?

Its a bit dearer.

moldyform
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:41 AM
Havinga look at prices of eco complete and it looks like it will cost around $300 minimum!

Is it worth spending this much on substrate or can this money be spent better else where?

Obviously it will make the plants grow well but dont you ahve to start adding ferts to eco complete after a while anyhow?

Cheers

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:51 AM
Money spent on a good substrate is money well spent, the ease of use and growth rate of a good substrate is well worth every cent!

its not just the nutrients its the pore structure for root development, the CEC for nutrient storage and acess, and the look is sensational!

Eco and red sea flora base are my 2 favorite substrates.

moldyform
Mon Mar 10, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have just brought 6 bags of the wet mix from AOA:)

At present i have a few sharks and a few clown loach and BN's in the tank. Is it safe to add the wet mix eco complete while there is fish in the tank?

Cheers.

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 03:56 AM
Eco and red sea flora base are my 2 favorite substrates.

I realise this is an old thread but am wondering if you are still happy with the Eco Complete and Flora Base. Also do you put any sand or gravel over the top to stop them muddying the tanks?

moldyform
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hi yes im happy with my eco complete. After intial stage of cloudy water, my water is clear as since.

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 04:05 AM
How long have you had it in the tank now and is it just straight eco complete or is it topped with something. Are you happy with the way the plants grow? Sorry for all my questions....I have lots to learn.

moldyform
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 04:44 AM
Had it in since about mid 2008 according to my post above!! Heck thats gone fast!

No i just put it straight in, got about 5-6 cm of it. yes have been very happy with plant growth. At the moment ive stopped co2 injections and the like as im battling an alge problem and white sport. Also considering im only running T8 globes im impressed at teh growth i got.

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks muchly!!

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:29 AM
im a big fan of the upaqua aquasoil, beats ada hands down in my opinion... doesnt crush as easy, and doesnt cloud, which i was nervous about as the package says not to wash it!

The results have been outstanding!

Wendy
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
Thats good to know, I have been waiting on a shipment of Upaqua to arrive at my LFS. I plan on doing a test run on a few different soils once I get the fishroom going. Cheers

swampy1972
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't think twice about using Up Aqua - I've found it an excellent product for the $$. So much so that I have 10x 9L bags waiting to go in my 5x2x2 :)

I also use it in my CRS tank and planted 2ft cube with excellent results - lots of breeding shrimp and very healthy plant growth in the cube.

Exotic Aquatic
Tue Aug 16, 2011, 12:51 PM
+1 for shrimp!!! mine all love it.

we are going to have their upaqua "shrimp sand" in soon... finer grain, smaller bags, lower price, and it comes in brown too apparently?

swampy1972
Wed Aug 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've seen images of the 'sand' in use on another forum. To be honest it doesn't look too different to the current soil - it's far from being sand. I can only imagine that there's a difference in the make up of it specific to the needs of shrimp. The member in question is actually doing an ongoing review of it with their CRS tank.