PDA

View Full Version : peat or buffer?

TimboS
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:06 AM
Hi All,

I have been searching around for some info on buffers and what-not to lower my pH from something that is usually very close to neutral to something a bit more acidic like 6.6-6.8 (in prep for any spawning that may occur).

I was thinking of using Seachem Acid and Alkaline buffer for the job, but there is mention of peat and it might be the better option ?!

I have used Seachem Discus Buffer and Tetra Blackwater Extract in the past and had no real problems other than indications that the discus don't like the phosphorus (or the tank due to BBA = black-brush algae?)

Can peat in the cannister filter be used to lower pH to something like 6.6-6.8 (from say 7.4) and *buffer* it there?

With all the discussion of discus liking ultra-clean water, why add peat when it is going to add a whole heap of stuff back into the water?

I think my fish prefer cleaner water since they are much more active and happier without blackwater extract, but if lowering the pH means I have to put something back in, I would like to rest assured that I have added the right stuff to the water - peat, or a whole heap of bicarbonate chemicals.

Thoughts anyone? Yes, rants and raves are allowed !!

Timbo

the german
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 02:23 AM
peat wont bring it down that far and there is no crap coming in its tanin :D
blackwater extract lol useless mate 15 years ago people tryed it in germany and then some smart people get it into labs with the result= just water from the amzon :D so you can afford to fill your tank with it it will be good.....

i never tryed all these buffer things,i think they are a rip off i use H3PO4

zar
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hey German

Wie geht's? Alles klar bei dir dort an der westkueste?
H3PO4, phosphoric acid?? Can i ask what the benefits are over using HCL to acidify water?

the german
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:02 AM
mir gehts gut :D hoffe dir auch!

many people use HCL but thats concentrated spirits of salt and i dont really want that in my breeding tanks so i go for phosphoric but i think its just in my head because i know a few people who use HCL with sucsess.
H3PO4 is very nasty as well,much worse than HCL so i guess for beginners its better to use HCL :D
or use a 20-30% solution of H3PO4

zar
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:36 AM
mir gehts auch ziemlich gut
hammerharte solutions german :)
I've just ran out of my ph buffer and don't wanna be ripped off anymore so i was planning to go and get some hcl from bunnings but then i read this post so i just wanted to see why you use H3PO4.
I've only heard of people use hcl, you're the first one i hear using H3PO4.
I might give hcl a try and see how it goes.

the german
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:01 AM
andrew soh uses H3PO4.

i use pure H3PO4 :D but i work in reasearch and development so im use to things like that and have the gear to use it.

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:28 AM
Timbo, peat will work well if your kh is below 4, it will aslo add tannins and humeric acids to the water which the fish will love.

it will soften the water by absorbing some trace minerals (mostly Ca2+ from memory)

if you've got 7.4 peat alone will proably get you to 7.3-6.9 depending on your kh.

I use HCL and acid buffer from seachenm (in a pinch when i'm out of HCL) to get sydney water down to 5.4-5.6

TimboS
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:35 AM
My KH is only 2, but GH 8. Never been able to figure that one out, but it is how it comes from the tap and how it sits in the tank (with carbon and zeolite as chemical filtration).

I know I will need to get rid of the carbon in order to use peat, but what about zeolite? Will it need to go as well?

Will UV destroy any of the goodness that peat adds?