PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating? Try this!

TimboS
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 05:28 AM
Hi All,

I recently posted in about a female discus of mine that had not eaten for what seemed to be weeks upon weeks upon weeks. You get the idea.

I came across a pet store in the north east of Adelaide and described what was going on since the young chap I was speaking to seemed to know a great deal about discus.

He suggested to put something like a goldfish in the tank with the discus (and temporarily remove any aggressors). The idea was that the discus would look at the brightly coloured fish eating and put two and two together, then start doing the same and start eating again.

Well, I thought it's worth a shot and the mrs suggested a male siamese fighting fish (who absolutely LOVES our 120 litre tank - so much room for him and his harem of three females...).

Well, the discus started watching the male fighter cruise the surface for food and pick all over the bottom from time to time. Sure enough, the discus started doing the same.

So, we started feeding food that both discus and siamese could eat, such as live blackwoom in one of those plastic cone dispensers. The male fighter would go to the cone, have his fill and the discus would then move up to it and pick.

Now, she is eating healthy, her colour is stunning, she is friendly again coming up to glass, her stress bars are not showing anywhere near as much and she cruises both high and low in the tank.

I know it's only one fish, but if I lost her due to starvation, I would have been devastated. I feel as happy as a pig in mud and I hope this little trick may help discus elsewhere.

Timbo

PS - the discus received a PP bath a few days before placement back in the main tank I speak of, so she may very well have had flukes and once rid of them this might have pre-empted her to feed even more strongly.

tanzy
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:36 AM
I recently went to a large Discus wholesaler in Melbourne, to have a look around. I was incredibly surprised to see big fancy goldfish in every tank. I asked why but the man just shrugged his shoulders.

I thought that goldfish were cold water only and would die in such warm temperatures.

I'm glad your fish is eating well.

Kell

TimboS
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
I thought of a goldfish, but had the same thoughts as yourself.

The siamese does not try to take on the discus or disturb her in any way and does not put out much waste I am told, so it's a great combo. A nice bright turquoise discus and red siamese amongst brilliant green plants! It's a beautiful sight.

snowy6
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:06 AM
We have always had 1 goldfish in the discus tank. Why, because this goldfish is like a friendly ambassador. Some of our discuses are real coward, they hide in a corner, though they are not sick. They will come out to feed only when there is no one around. When this goldfish is around, they start to move out from their comfort zone. We have been moving this goldfish from one tank to another just to make these discuses move out and it is pretty effective. This goldfish has just died after keeping him for some 9 years or so and we found another replacement serving the same purpose.

We now put him in a tank with another 1 year old discus that is not eating well and some 4 stunted discuses from our 2 batch of fry. . That discus is still not eating and hasn't been eating well for some 5 months or so. It is certainly some kind of internal problem.

TW
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:36 AM
A nice bright turquoise discus and red siamese amongst brilliant green plants! It's a beautiful sight Agree, I have that sight as well.

gro
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 02:43 AM
I recently went to a large Discus wholesaler in Melbourne, to have a look around. I was incredibly surprised to see big fancy goldfish in every tank. I asked why but the man just shrugged his shoulders.

I thought that goldfish were cold water only and would die in such warm temperatures.

I'm glad your fish is eating well.

Kell

i think i have been to the same place, he told me the gold fish ate the poo

samir
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:20 AM
goldfish make poo, and when they finish they make more poo ... and right after that (yes, you guessed it).... they poo. LOL :P