PDA

View Full Version : seachem discus trace

TimboS
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 04:19 AM
Hi All,

Can anyone give me the low-down on Seachem Discus Trace?

Under what conditions would you use it / need it, and in reality what benefit would it provide?

Would it be absorbed by any particular type of filtration?

Thanks,

Timbo

JoeDiscus85
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 09:58 PM
I use a product called kent discus essential its got trace elements and it should be added with every big water change or once a week, Carbon absorbs it so i imagine my product is just about the same as what you are refering to

Joe

ILLUSN
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
If your using pure ro water you'll need something like this to adjust the chemistry back to conditions that the fish prefer, if your using tap water i don't think you'll see much benifit, you'd be better off enhancing the diet with extra vitamins.

AHC
Tue Feb 26, 2008, 01:44 AM
Hi, Just to add to what ILLUSN wrote - I have had discus for about 5 months now. For about 2 months of that i was using Seachem discus trace and there were no noticable benefits (I use normal tap water, conditioned and treated in water barrels with Prime and hydrochloric acid). When i get an RO unit i will try it out but will always rely on their food to keep them fit.

The real difference has come from the last month or so in feeding good beef heart mixtures which the receipes are readily available.

You can also try Indian Almond leaves (Terminalia Catappa Leaves) which have antibacterial properties and can improve health and stimulate the natural environment of fish such as Discus, betta etc. They can lower PH and even heavey metals in the water. I sometimes use them in my water barrels and have also boiled them to get the oil out which i have stored in a couple of bottles.