PDA

View Full Version : Guess the Parents !!

GreenDiscus
Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi Forum

I attach a photo of two Siblings that I have reared to almost 3" - Who can guess the parentage !?

Also I would be interested in knowing if the forum think the one without the blue markings is worth breeding with another near identical sibling of the opposite sex ?

Prize - A round the world trip for two (just kidding!!)

GreenDiscus
Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:29 AM
picture 1 - cannot load two at once !!

GreenDiscus
Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:30 AM
picture2

rwel4809
Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:22 AM
could this be a Blue/red turk x yellow diamond??

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:26 AM
Very pretty juveniles with great shape.

Hmmmm Marlboro red with turquoise.

Just guessing. I really don't know LOL.

GreenDiscus
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Merrilyn

I only have Solid Coloured Discus which is why I was so surprised to get some significant striping !!

Since I only have two interested guesstimates, the cross I made to produce those babies (now 3inch) was...

Dickson Yellow x Hi Fin Blue Diamond !!!!

I like the Solid Coloured one best due to the shape and unique colour which is better in real life - Like I said above, there is a near identical male (I believe the photo is female) that hangs around her.

What do you think the chances are of a high proportion of any resulting crossed babies being consistent with the parents ?? OR would you think a cross back onto her father (HF Blue Dianmond) would be better ?

the german
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
the one with the turk lines will be almost solid when he grows.
i like them both :D

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:05 AM
Crossing back to one of the parents will help to fix the strain, depending on what you're trying to achieve. The patterned fish is a throw back. All wild fish have some kind of blue pattern on them. Only selective breeding produced solid coloured fish.

Sell off the patterned fish, and concentrate on the solid colours. I'd be inclined to do two crossings, one juvenile with each parent, and take the best coloured and shaped juveniles from those broods, and then cross the siblings together.

You may well establish an exotic new strain, but remember they really should breed true for several generations before you can claim you've got a genuine new strain.

You've got some excellent fish to work with.

Go for it :P

GreenDiscus
Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the comments Merrilyn

Ill post you an update in a couple of years :shock: haha

This for me is the thrill of course and we all have various diverse slants on this great hobby - mine is solid coloured crossing to see what I get (at the moment), others like stripes or spots, and then there are those starting with new wild blood which I am considering if I win lotto......!!

Cheers Mike

supun
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 05:30 AM
Mike,
It is so interesting to see what you got when you crossed those two solids :P

I was wondering if you could possibly post a pic of the parents on here..I wat to see what your yellow discus looks like.
I have a golden discus, and it is much smaller than my other 10 discuses.. I think he/she is mature,but am pretty sure the golden is stunted.

Thanks,

Sue

supun
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 05:31 AM
Hi Mike,

In your profile pic, is that a green and blue discus, or is it the picture quality? If it is, could you post a better pic of it?

sue

GreenDiscus
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 06:15 AM
HI Sue

Sorry the "Green Discus" profile pic is a real photo of a real Blue Diamond that I no longer have, BUT the colour is generated by Adobe Photoshp haha !!

The babies above however are 100% real colours, but I can now definately confirm that you cannot get Green Discus by crosing a Blue and Yellow.....much to my disappointment !!