PDA

View Full Version : aggressive Discus

Jimmy Mack
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 10:34 PM
I recently purchased three small Discus from the unscrupulous somethingsphishy.com. As one arrived DOA, I now have two. One Discus is aggressive and chases the other around the tank especially at meal time. He (or she) is growing at a faster rate as he gets the lion share of the food. Would adding another Discus solve the problem? If so, is there a reputable dealer that I can buy from on-line? The only local pet stores in my area don't carry Discus. Thanks.

Matt15
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
Jimmy, adding more discus will always share a bullies attention. However its not recommended to have only 3. I would suggest if your going to add more get at least 2 or 3 which would take your total to 4-5. Providing your tank can manage this.

As for shopping, I have no idea where in the world you are. From this somethingsphishy.com I'm guessing your somewhere in America.

dntx5b9
Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:07 AM
Hey, not sure where you are from in US, but go to simplydiscus.com. There are a lot of US breeders there and I heard that the quality is very good.

happygirl65
Sat Feb 23, 2008, 05:54 PM
I just ordered from them too :( My discus had to be treated for infections since they didn't fare well in shipping. I ordered 6, I now have 3. :( Anyway. I second the recommendation to go to www.forum.simplydiscus.com

I have found a lot of help on that board. Their sponsors have lots of reviews and you can actually talk to the breeders via email or phone. They do ship and offer much better options for shipping than the US Express mail.

scowley
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
I also just purchased fish from Somethingsphishy. One of the fish had a bad case of fin rot and when I tried to notified Keith Titus he never bothered to acknowledge my message. I left a review on his site of "dissappointment" which promptly got deleted and my account deacitvated. Before getting my fish I tried to ask which colors he sent with the "Assorted 2 inch" order and never got a reply. I also tried the online support he has on his site which never got answered despite saying it was active and online.

happygirl65
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that is totally rotten. I rdered some food along with my fish that also never arrived, he didnt credit that part of the order when he credited for the DOA fish, but at least he did credit for the DOA.

One of my fish also had horrible fin rot, it is now healed though. I certainly learned my lesson about researching dealers.

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
hmmm somthing sounds phishy to me..... I considered ordering from them glad i didnt now...

happygirl65
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:19 PM
I KNOW....I can't beleive I ordered from a place with a name like that....my husbans STILL laughs at me for it. I guess I figured it was clever...not just flat out definition of their business!

dandaman352
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:26 PM
Discusmadness is a good place, its where I buy my discus's from. I actually drive there its in new jersey and i'm in ny so it was like an hour. But they have great great fish and live arrival is a promised. discusmadness.com =)

Tab
Mon May 12, 2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry to say I also had a bad experience w/ somethingsphishy. Ordered 3 discus and one arrived with advanced fin rot and looked like it had been burned. Died 8 hrs later. I wrote a lenghty complaint letter and received no response. Warning to all-stay away from somethingsphishy! :evil:

Hollowman
Tue May 13, 2008, 08:11 AM
LESSON LEARNT HERE GUYS

Sorry to hear this, I would never buy from this outlet, and only go to a trusted and recommended source. For you in the US, SimplyDiscus has some great sponsors, Kenny is highly recommended.

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:04 AM
Discus on mail order basis, wow, I would never go for it. It takes me about an hour's watch on the LFS aquarium to buy even 1 discus... cannot imagine buying something from someplace else arriving in a cardboard carton..!

Hollowman
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:56 AM
Discus on mail order basis, wow, I would never go for it. It takes me about an hour's watch on the LFS aquarium to buy even 1 discus... cannot imagine buying something from someplace else arriving in a cardboard carton..!

City, some people do it properly because they care about the fish and the customer.
Those who want to make a swift buck by selling stunted and diseased fish, end up in the stories above. It's pitifull, these people should be reported for animal cruelty.
It always pays to be recommended by other members. Ask anyone about Kenny and they will say that all his fish sent to all parts of the US get there alive.

H

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:59 AM
I understand what you say hollowman, but what i meant to say is, i would never go for a new discus, or in that case any other fish, unless I see it with my own eyes, and not a photo, and also observe the fish for sometime before actually shelling out some hard earned money. I never believed in mail order brides or mail order fish :-), mostly they don't turn out as expected, as we see from experiences above !

nicholas76
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:05 AM
It pays to do your homework.

When it comes to exquisite fish,,,, ordering is almost always the only way to get those gems.

I have never had a DOA and when ordering fish from a reputable dealer and somtimes that alone is more exciting then actually hand selecting the fish yourself!

cityguy
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:10 AM
I agree that some exclusive and exquisite fishes are available only against order, but it is always better to set the terms of the deal while ordering. Here in India we have tropical fish suppliers who guarantees you "alive on arrival" and "disease free" fishes. They bring in great fishes from south east asia, and if you are ready to pay a premium, you would get the best of the lot. BUT, I personally do not trust mail order fishes, and I am lucky that I live in a place that does not requires me to opt for the option too.

Hollowman
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:19 AM
As I said, you learn by hearing what other people say. The guys who do it properly are not in it to rip you off, they want to impress you with good service and return business. For some this is the only way, and a proven method if done the right way.