PDA

View Full Version : What to feed my discus?

dandaman352
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hey, I'm relatively new to discus, I did alot of research before I got them and put them in my 75 gallon fish tank. They have a bunch of friendly community tank mates that some would argue should not be in there but they all get along fine (tri color, silver dollars, irredsecnt sharks). Anyway I noticed they are extremely picky and even if they can get to alot of the food they just show no interest. But when I drop in bloodworms they go nuts and out-eat all the other fish. I've had no luck with beefheart, mysis shrimp , pellet (hikari gold ciclid) or flake food.

I saw hikari makes a special frozen discus food. wanted to know if anyone tried that yet. Or if anyone has any ideas on what else would help?( I want their diet to vary)

snakeskin
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
i feed my discus a mixture of bloodworms, brine shrimp and discus dinner twice a day. And they love that.

AHC
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
I feed mine a with bloodworms, tetra bits, Frozenshrimp, discus dinner and 3 types of beef heart receipes i have made - all on Alternative days. First BH receipe consists of a little bit of BH, Prawns, Salmon, Spinich, Carrots, Peas, Sprinula powder, tetra bits, Garlic, crushed up vitamins and Gelatine to hold it. The second is BH, Scallops, Peas, Carrots, Spirulina Powder and the Third is just Chopped up finely BH. It may take a little while to get them onto the beefheart, as with all other food they may not be used to, but when they do they will love you for it. Try Seachem Garlic Gaurd in the food or put a little bit in the water a few minutes before you feed them. Its better to keep at it.

Oh, and its best to mix up a batches with some Prazi, Levamisole etc and label it so that you can use it when you need it. See threads on this in the medication section of the forum :)

dandaman352
Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
whats discus dinner?

AHC
Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:36 AM
Its a frozen discus food you can get at most aquariums and Fish friendly petshops etc. Contains some BH, vitamins and stuff. Not bad stuff, my guys like it. I tend to feed less of that because i have heaps of my own mixture. Its more for a change in taste.

dandaman352
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 05:30 AM
no luck. I tried but to no luck its been a couple of days and they won't eat the beefheart. I'm afraid to lose them from starvation anything else i can do?

Gone Fishing
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi dandaman352,
Ladyred's beef heart recipe is great. It is found in the "Food, Nutrition, Water Chemistry" section of this forum.

It is well worth making and trying it out cause I knew I had to get them on a beef heart mix of some sort and I was afraid they would be picky, but you know they went crazy for it. Even the new checkerboard pigeon blood, who was very fussy, in fact this was the only food he would eat. He didn't go crazy for it yet as the others did, when they eat out of my fingers, but I'm sure he will come round.

I made a slight mistake when I made the mixture though. I wanted to make half the specified amount, but I accidently gave the full amount of beef heart, left out the shrimp (cause I couldn't get it), and gave half of everything else, but you know...they don't seem to care either way.
Besides read up their responses to Lady Reds recipe and you will have to give it a go.

If this doesn't work you can try to deprive of all food for a few days & then give it a go.

Oh!! and by the way my new one (10cm checkerboard) was put into the tank, after he was acclimatised, with a breeding pair, who were not at all happy to have him there, and started to attack and peck at him. So, I separated him with a partition and he stopped hiding in the corner, came out, looked happy and colourful and slowly and shyishly ate and continues to do so.

Many Fishy Regards
Jason

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 11:25 AM
There's a garlic preperation you can put in the water just before you feed - or soak the food in - that's supposed to increase appetite. Never used it myself.

I'd be asking the people you bought them from what they were feeding & go with that.

If all else fails, try live food to get them started. Brine shrimp is safer. Live worms can contain parasites, but if it comes to a choice between treating parasites later & starving now, I know which one I'd go for. Frozen worms are a bit safer if they'll go for them.

It's important to get them started (eating) ASAP.

Let us know what happens?

dandaman352
Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:03 PM
I actually purchased some home-made beefheart from discusmaddness when I bought the fish, everyone but 1 fish seems to like it. But I figure with time he'll settle down. The garlic helps! Thanks.

DiscusEden
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:51 AM
Glad to hear they're doing better. I'm a little concerned about that 1. Is he eating anything? Sometimes if they don't start eating they seem to forget how, so give him anything he'll eat - in another tank if you need to.

Glad to hear the others are doing better!

Would love to see pics when you can - your tank without fish was stunning - can't wait to see it now!

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:57 AM
He's like 3.5 inches and a bit older so he's a little more picky I guess. But he eats bloodworms like a pig, but I REALLY want to vary his diet so I've been feeding that beefheart and flakes for now hoping that he eventually gives in.

AHC
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:19 AM
hmmmm sounds like he is a bit stubborn with the food. The best way of getting him to change is too get Seachem's garlic gaurd (The garlic preperation you were probably talking about Discus Eden) Dont feed him for a few days, so he gets really hungry. Dont worry if he is with other discus. Then get some beefheart and either soak it in the garlic liquid or poor the galic into the tank 5 minutes before eating. Then pop the BH into the tank and he should go for it. Making him hungry is the key. If they are healthy (no worms, flukes etc) then its just him being stubborn and this should break him. he will start pecking at it. Gradually being this BH into his diet. You can even mix it up with the worms so they get a lil bit of both and that helps. Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:24 AM
Seachem's garlic guard.. is this available in the US? If it is I'll def get it and let you guys know how it turns out! Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

AHC
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:34 AM
AHHH, sorry mate. assumed you were in Oz. My bad. in the US try Ecosystem Aquarium Garlic Plus. I have included a link for you. Being in Oz i naturally cannot tell you wjhere to get it but if you google Aquarium garlic or something like that then im sure you were find a place. You could also try your LFS. :wink:

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/products/garlic_plus.cfm

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:38 AM
hehe thanks i'll give it the ol' college try! Also in an unrelated topic see if you can go to my thread about my possibly sick discus if you can, thats a little more nerve wrecking.

AHC
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:38 AM
ps. just found the link to get it online in the US.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~SC4811~tab~5.html

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:40 AM
thanks I appreciate it.