PDA

View Full Version : How lond until eggs hatch?

jeff8428
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 10:45 PM
This is the fourth time my pair has laid eggs, ate them after a few days every other time. It has been 4 days now and they still have not hatched . They appear fertilized ( brown looking) How long does irt usually take and what is the longest time you have seen?

Thanks

Matt15
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 10:58 PM
Eggs take 48 hours to hatch providing there in the right temperature. Other things to consider are either your male is a female or he just isn't quiet doing his job properly.

jeff8428
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:14 AM
the eggs look fertilized, brown in color, but haven't hatched in 4 days. This is the third time in the community tank. I have a breeding tank set up. Should I try them in the breeding tank. if the eggs aren't going to hatch shouldn't the parents eat them by now

jeff8428
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
Also, they have been laying on the heater in the tank, could that be a problem too

Matt15
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:29 AM
Jeff i'm not an expert and i'm learning about the breeding phases myself. Infact I had a lay lastnight :)

The brown colour sounds right for fertilized eggs. But I would think that eggs being laid on the heater isn't good at all. The temp would fry them rather than incubate them.

Personally i'm leaving my pair in the com tank for at least 4-5 lays before moving them into a breeding tank I have setup down stairs. If you have a breeding setup i'd give it ago if I was you. Fingers crossed thou that they don't lay on the heater in there too.

jeff8428
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 01:05 AM
yes, I think I will move them and try it, I have sectioned it off to where they cannot lay on the heater, we'll see what happens

the german
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:21 AM
they will need 60h or longer to hatch depends on temperature so lower so longer it needs.
4 days is a long time and you say there are still brown?
they should be white after that time.

jeff8428
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 05:44 PM
yes, they are still brown. This is the fifth day, They laid on the heater and I am just wondering if it just (baked) the eggs

AHC
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi, My guess is it did. Try getting a heater gard maybe? All in all, The discus will be learning if they are young. Let them make the mistakes so they will learn from it. Have they got a breeding pot, slate etc?

Unfortunately you can't tell them where to lay however with my Turqs, i put them in a bare tank with a teracotter pot and they layed on the pot. Mine are still young and learning (as am i) and they have raised their fry to free swimmers but then they either get lost in the 3ft and starve or they eat them. 1 tip from me (if you are going to have sponge filters in the breeding tank) is that fry are attracted to dark objects because they think its mumma and pappa. Take the sponge filters out (because you may not be feeding the parents for that time) or make a barrier up with a washed ice cream container or something. This is only necessary i think in biggish tanks as the fry will swim away and starve when the parents cannot find them. Hope this helps.