PDA

View Full Version : bossy discus

snakeskin
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 07:55 AM
thanks very much for the info. and yes i did try changing the landskape but nothing happened...get rid of him. well if i have to i gess i dont have a choice, is there ny chance that he will eventually just stop bullying? i put a devider in the middle a few weeks ago seperating the blue turk on his own hoping he would be greatful to c the other discus, he went straight back to liking 3 and bullying the other 2:(
i think getting rid of him is the only option hence if i splip him up i think he will perish from stress as ween it comes to stressing he is good at that.
thanks very much again mr discus
seamus

Mr Discus
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 09:47 AM
The thing you need to remember is that it is a natural thing for one discus in a tank to be much more dominant an assertive than any of the others, and it is usually the largest.

My first question would be, do you have alot of driftwood or other objects within the tank? SOMETIMES if you rearrange the interior of the tank, it can confuse all the discus and their pecking order becomes less aggressive. But often the result is after a day or 2 the dominant discus will rise up again regardless of the aquascape.

If you have another tank, then it can't hurt to move the dominant discus in question to it on its own for a week (if you are comfortable doing that), as this will cause the heirarchy to change in your main tank. Its hard to say if it will go back to the way it was when the dominant discus is introduced again. You can never ever tell what discus will be dominant, or when they decide to be or why.

I think if it upsets you that much, and you really don't want it to happen, you could remove that discus entirely. Either sell it or trade it for possible credit at your LFS.

Hope that helps.

the german
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 10:13 AM
let him in and get 2 more.it dont helps to take him out thats nature and discus are shooling fish,thats what happens when you dont have enough fish

Mr Discus
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 01:12 PM
the german, if snakeskin gets 2 more discus on top of what he already has, it will mean 8 discus in a 250lt tank, which is overstocking it.

Using the 40lt per fish rule as a rough guide, 6 discus is a perfect amount for a 250lt.

Sometimes you get a dominant fish in your school, and you can't add any more as you will be pushing the limits of your system. This sounds like the case for snakeskin.

the german
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:08 AM
oh sorry i thought he got only 4 in there....