PDA

View Full Version : Substrate change

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
I got a bit carried away & used it as an excuse to re-do all of the plants.

This is the first lot in today & I'm planning to put corkscrew & contortionist val along the back on the right hand side. I think I need to put some Wisteria in on the left next to the Marble Queen to soak up the nutrients, but not sure what else to do? Oh, and I'm planning to grab a palm (I think it's a bengal palm?) near the roots on the RHS.

Any comments/ suggestions gratefully accepted.

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 16, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sooky camera-shy fish have had a hard day.

ivo
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Very nice set up DE and beautiful plants. It must be a lot of work to change the substrate and reorganise the plants. Does the dark colour substrate make your discus colour go a bit darker, or stress bars show more often, or more peppering show on pigeon?

You have such big tank but not enough discus...you need to buy them to fill up the tank, hehe.

fish_r
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 01:54 PM
looks good DE, look forward to seeing some progress shots of it growing out. if the bengal palm is what i think it is, it's not a true aquatic so be careful.
it's just my opinion but i think u should try to keep it simple and not over load it with plants as sometimes less is more :) and i think it looks quite good now and gives more emphesise on ur fish...

DiscusEden
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:46 AM
I hear you. But other times more is more. And I ordered more thismorning. Not much more. And I cut the order by 1/2 on what I was going to get. But more.

Thanks Ivo! It was a lot of work - and just about all of it done by fish_r. Although I did the fun plant bit myself.

The old substrate was the flora base, but had so many plants in there that the tank was already pretty dark. It was only done a week ago, so a bit difficult to tell yet. The PB looks the same so far. The Turks & alenquer have had the stress bars out a bit, but I think that's more to do with me playing in the tank & less hidey places, 'cos they come good if I back off.

There are 7 discus in there ATM:
1 baby albino golden/ alenquer
1 alenquer
1 pair turqs
1 M PB (first of the universe) - paired with
1 F albino turq
1 melon

Room for one more. I was thinking maybe a golden?