PDA

View Full Version : Water Tanks for Storing Water

TW
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm thinking of buying a food grade 1000L tank for storing & aging water. I've found a couple of 2nd hand ones. One previously held sugar & water (guess that equals glucose) & the other previously held cooking oil. Both are to said to have been thoroughly cleaned, but I don't know by what method. If I find they have been cleaned with either soap or detergent, should I give them a miss?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Matt15
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
What material are the tank made of mate?

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
should be ok, just give them a good wash when you get them and let them sun dry for a week.

TW
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Matt, looks like some sort of plastic. Here's a picture of it. The one pictured contained cooking oil & has been washed with detergent.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/Odd%20Bods/971e_11.jpg
I'm going to look at it today & guy says it will take a submersible pump - but the opening doesn't look big enough to me. I might have to cut things a bit.

The guy selling the one that had sugar/water mix hasn't yet told me what he cleaned it with. The picture is same as this one though.

Noticed add didn't say "Food Grade" - thought it did (got confused - been looking at lots). Guessing if it contained cooking oil &/or water/sugar, then must be food grade??? I will check, though.

ILLUSN, you think it will be alright, even though washed with detergent? Unless I cut a big hole on the top, doesn't look like I can easily scrub inside. I can leave in the sun like you say, but will the sun get enough access to internal tank walls, without cutting big hole? I can cut the hole, if that'd be best.

A container of this size will make water change night heaps easier, but I don't want to risk my precious fish.

Any other comments would be great to hear. Cheers & thanks, Robyn.

ILLUSN
Sat Feb 16, 2008, 02:06 AM
I'd cut the top off it, makes installing pumps, heaters and cleaning easier for you, being clear after a few months its gonna get some algae clean up.

just give it a good wash with tap water, fill it up and add a 3-5x dose of prime, then drain and sun dry it should be fine.

fish_r
Sat Feb 16, 2008, 03:52 AM
how much is he selling it for ? i work for an agricultural chemical company and we can get them brand new "un used" and they sell for approx $350 + tax if it's dearer than that have a ring around ur local agricultural chemical companies and try get a second hand sulfuric acid IBC least that way u can rinse it out and have no detergent residues...

TW
Sat Feb 16, 2008, 10:43 AM
It's going to cost $130 all up.

gypsy3
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 02:18 AM
i've got one of those myself - plenty of room to put heaters, pumps etc thru the opening.

TW
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 03:29 AM
Hi Gypsy3, was yours 2nd hand? If yes, how did you deal with the detergent issue & did you have any problems.

Thanks

TW
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 03:32 AM
try get a second hand sulfuric acid IBC least that way u can rinse it out and have no detergent residues...fish_r, I didn't notice this before. Can you pls tell me what this is? Thanks

gypsy3
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
yeah...it had imported orange juice concentrate in it.To be honest, i just gave it a really good rinse out with a garden hose, filled it and added prime.

fish_r
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
fish_r, I didn't notice this before. Can you pls tell me what this is? Thanks

same as what u have but have sulfuric acid in them which would be safer to use than ones rinsed out with detergent imo. but as long as u rinse it out and give it a good wash u should be fine.

IBC = Intermediate Bulk Containers or some call them shuttles.

$130 is a good price though :wink:

TW
Sun Feb 17, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the extra info gypsy & fish_r. The seller dropped the price today to $100, so I jumped in and bought it.

Hope it works out ok.

TW
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:19 AM
The tank is made out of High Density Polyethylene (before I just said "some sort of plastic".

being clear after a few months its gonna get some algae clean up. ILLUSN, if you pop in again - will algae build up even if I'm storing it inside (in the garage) & cover it with a dark material block light?

The opening is plenty big enough to put my pump & heater into - do you still think it best to cut open the top. Is the cutting open of the top to help the sun do it's job when I'm washing it & cleaning it to remove any possible detergent residue?

fish_r
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
yay i have one coming too now. with mine i will probably cut a bigger hole in the top for ease of cleaning and thinking of painting it black as i will have to keep mine outside under the veranda.

$100 is a bargain TW ;)

TW
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
$100 is a bargain TW. I know. I was at his place on Saturday to have a look, as he only lives 10-15mins drive from me. At that stage, he had a "buy it now" price of $130. I didn't log on again until Sunday afternoon, and the "buy it now" price was down to $100. During check-out process, he said I had to have it gone by end of this weekend, as he had 17 more coming. So, that's probably why.

Glad you're getting one too . The 200L pickle drum isn't doesn't hold enough water, when you have several large tanks, so I think this makes things so much easier. Were you lucky enough to get one not cleaned with detergent? If your's was cleaned with detergent, are you going to deal with it in the same way as ILLUSN suggested.

thinking of painting it black as i will have to keep mine outside under the verandaWith mine being in the garage, do you think I should also paint it black, or will just being inside be enough to not let the algae be an issue (or would covering it with a black cloth do the trick).

If painted black, it will be harder to tell the water level, although you could attach a water guage. I saw them for sale too.

fish_r
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
iv'e got a brand newie on the way "just have to pick it up"
and got it for free too from one of the reps we deal with @ work :) i will be getting a 700 odd ltr tank soon so will need it then ;)

i recon u will be alright covering it with a blk cloth and i might do the same now u mention it.

TW
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
Seems you got the best price after all LOL. But I was never going to get that sort of luck. The new ones on line were around $350 plus delivery - more than I could spend.

I have a 300L, a 330L & 165L. The 165L is being shut down soon & replaced bya new 450L. Plus there is the 100L quarantine/hospital tank that is put into action from time to time.
i will be getting a 700 odd ltr tank soon Wow, that is some huge tank. Lucky you. Is it 72 x 24 x 24, or larger?