PDA

View Full Version : Preparation of RO water.

pepp76
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi aye everyone..

I have had big problems with my tap water quality for a while so i decided to purchase a RO-MAN RO unit to solve the problem but i have never been told if i need to leave the water to stand for any lengh of time or if i need to oxygenate it before being added to the tank.obviously i use minerals before application(preis discus minerals)and heat it to required temp.
I would be very grateful if anyone had any useful advice on this subject for me.

Thans,pepp76..

dandaman352
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:01 AM
I just purchased an RO filter also, and from what I've been told by breeders and other people is that basically you can either take the RO water and either add RO right (by kent) or add in some tap water for the minerals before putting it in the tank. Then your all set. I haven't heard anything about letting it stand or oxygenating it, but this method seems to be working fine for me. Hope this helps.

ozarowana
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 02:35 AM
What kind of problems are you having with your tap water?

fishgeek
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 09:36 AM
in general scottish water is so nice and soft that a heavy metal filter, or effectively the first couple of pods that you have before the osmosis filter would probably have sufficed

if you wish you can unplug the osmosis , safe a lot of water in waste

i store my r/o in a water butt with no oxygenation
and on a thick base of peat, which i change every 3 mths or so

i do not replace minerals in the water... seems really strange that anyone would
the fish come from low mineral content water, we try to replicate this by using a filter to remove many things , then we add some back out of a bottle of stuff bought?!

just doesnt sit well with me
i have very hard water and accept 95-98% effectiveness(i do have de-ionisation after r/o) and i use it straight into my apisto tanks

maybe the couple of percent i am left with is enough
if i was in your imagined situation i would just watch the pH swings because i imagine you have already soft water
i feel that some of the peat effect helps stop to much swing in water parameters, or maybe the change isnt actually as important as it is made out to be, i dont measure mine before/during or after i change water so i dont really know if it does change

i pour water bac into tanks so i guess the out of tap and into bucket
out of bucket and into tank is enough to add air back to water

just the way i see it
andrew