PDA

View Full Version : red algae

boost.puppy
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:40 PM
I am noticing more & more red algae on my plants (particuarly Anubia's and the harder leaved plants)

I have heard you can bleech dip these & it will help remove the red algae.. but to me thats a little extreme & they seem to mostly be on my plants attached to ceramic pots or driftwood. any other sugestions? I was thinking a little white vinegar and a soft old toothbrush to lightly scrub it off (only on my harder leaved plants though!) I have some siamese algae eaters (because I read they would do the job) but it looks so icky & my tanks due for a good ol clean this weekend...

what do you think? has anyone else had this kind of problem before? it seems to have struck now I'm using seachem Excel.. which is particuarly weird because it's suppossed to have the opposite effect!

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:54 AM
the red algae is bba, an easy way is to get some florish excell and a small syringe, just squirt it onto the afected leaf, it has the added bonus of doing your tank with carbon that will help your plants grow.

when it turns red its dead :)

boost.puppy
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:09 AM
exxcellent! I was reading other threads & for the life of me I couldn't work out what BBA is!! I"m such a N0ob

jkomaromi
Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have used AZOO Brush Algae Killer 15ml for 16.50 from Age of Aquariums. Unfortunately Apistogrammas do NOT like it and it affects their breeding potentials. I heard that with time they may recover....
Try NATURAL methods. Have a good balance of light, fish and plants and/or three or four Siamese Algae Eaters, (Crossocheilus siamensis).

boost.puppy
Thu Feb 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks John... I worked out my lighting is too high for the Anubias so I have transferred them into a lower lighting tank & currently am dosing with excel... will see how that goes.. it definately has backed off from spreading!