Wed Feb 13, 2008, 08:14 PM
hi all
how do add medicine to your discus food :?:
what kind of food do you use :?:
like with meds that come in powder form or crushed pills
whats the best way so it doesnt all dilute onto the water :?:

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 10:42 PM
metro prazi and levimenisole are the meds you want, i also have some penicillian+streptomyacin that i have on hand.

i mix each into merrilyns beefheart mix and use when required.

It is important to remember not to medicate your fish for no reason

antibiotics are not probiotics, using them inproperly will lead to resistant organisums that will wipe out all our fish as well as cause tumours and infertility.

alan j t
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
well one of my new juvies is getting a pinched forehead
and getting skinny
the other one is just not gowing at all so im assuming worms
allthe fish have grown an inch since
so i im going to order order prazi to treat twice and
i have some on hand Fenbenbdazole but iffy on this stuff how to add to food
metro is for the pinched forehead discus
prazi is for worms
is the fenbenbdazole a better de wormer than prazi :?:
i am very willingly to listen to your advice

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 11:51 PM
Prazi is only good for flat worms(tapeworms) and used to be quite good for flukes, though recent concensus is that the flukes are now resistant.

metro is for flagellets, if you see white fluffy stools thats usually the best indiaction.

Levimenisole is for roundworms(nematodes etc).

when worming i feed levimenisole in liquid form on week 1 then praze everyday for 3 days in week 2 and 3, then levimenisole again on week 4.

with metro i feed 2x daily for 5-7days, with no ther food (ie i drop from 4 feeds a day to 2).

i give a weeks rest and if the fish still dont look 100% I'll repeat.

the thin forhead in your fish is due to weight loss, it could be worms or flagellets.

of the 3 drugs listed above metro is a carcinogen, and a mutagen, if used excessivly it can have adverse effects on your fish, + more and more times flagellets are becomiming resistant to it.

In the us i believe its an over the counter drug, this could be bad because you might geta strain of flagellets in that is resistant.

id go for the wormers first, i wouldn't use metro unless your sure its flagellets.

alan j t
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
i have prazi on hand so i can do the prazi treatment
when the first treatment is done should i feed them Fenbenbdazole
or just forget that stuff

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:44 AM
i've never used it so I cant comment, i believe that prazi is milder, I know its safe for other species such as tetras and scalesfish, I'm not so sure with Fenbendazole.

I'd use one or the other, not both (I know they both treat flatworms).

alan j t
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:54 AM
ok prazi it is
your a fish god illusn
:) :) :) :) thank you very much for the advise :) :) :) :)

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 01:14 AM
your a fish god illusn

thats merrilyns title :)

alan j t
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:27 AM
o :o
then i guess your the fish gods advocate :lol: :lol: :lol:

fishgeek
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:23 AM
fenbendazol is from the same family of drugs(benzimidazols) as levamisol and as such has similar spectrum of activity

primarily nematodes and (in mammals anyway - we had a long discussion about this here somewhere else- use search and you may find) tapeworms to some effect(cestodes) and also has an effect on giardia(a protozoa)

if it did all that in fish- nematode, cestodes and protozoa it would be a god send
unfortunately different hosts have different parasites with different medication susceptibilities and assuming that an effective cat wormer will be as good against discuss parasites can be misleading

at the time i think i decided i couldn't prove that panacur/fenbendazol was definitely effective against the protozoa most commonly encountered in fish

we also decided that in water medication with fenbendazol may be deleterious to fish

illusion where did you get the scary precaution list from, my understanding of metro is that it is a fairly safe drug
with vomiting and cns toxicity being likely at higher dosing only

it has appetite stimulating effects in reptiles, maybe immunostimulant,and because hepatically metabolised may alter metabolism of other meds

andrew

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:36 AM
G'day andrew, i got that of an MSDS sheet when i snuck some through an order at work, if you like i can scan it and send it to you, just pm me your email.

the LD50 wasn't that high (compared to the some of the other stuff in the order), but in big bold print was mutagen carcinogen in additon to the vomiting, rash do not mix with alcohol etc etc etc ...... all that stuff that doesn't apply to fish. fish metabolisum may alter the drug diffrently.

your are proably correct, all the data i have is related people (the problems of working in a hospital).

the mutant strains was an observation by a few forum members after whispers came from asia, and dad's fish dont respond to well to it anymore (he refuses to give a propper dose and remove carbon no matter how much litriture i give him, i guess that where i get my stubborn streak from)

fishgeek
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
i get data sheets all in a nice little book, now days i tend to take them out of drugs as some owners get too paranoid

i think a lot of it comes becasue of liabilty and law suits
maybe some link to cancer though i certainly dont think it the worst drug i work with

andrew
ps most data for people comes from testing on animals anyway!!!
and then the fools say we cant use human drugs in animals as they arent tested and licencsed as safe!!!

alan j t
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
how do you put the med on the food
i dont make a bh recipe or any recipe at all
any other simpler ideas

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:38 PM
crush up the required ammount of drug that you need into a very fine powder. put it into a small containwer and add the required ammount of frozen food, let it thatw and give it a good mix, even if the metro or prazi doesn't fullt disolve it will stick tothe food long enough for the fish to eat it.

with levimenisole i soak some freeze dried black worms in the solution till its as soaked up as it gets, then i feed the fish and pur the rest into the tank.