PDA

View Full Version : container for water ageing

tanzy
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 05:29 AM
I have just started to age my water. I have always just added prime to my water and allowed to sit for about 10 minutes. But I have decided to be kinder to my fishy friends and age the water correctly.

The guy from my LFS told me that a normal black plastic garbage bin is perfect for the purpose. So I went and bought a bin and another pump to aerate the water and a heater to heat the water to the temp of my tanks.

I washed the bin at least 20 times and also scrubbed down with some salt and washed out well again. I added prime to the water and it has been aerating for two days. I went to use the water but it smells the same as the plastic of the bin. I didn't use the water because I was worried that if the water smelt like plastic that it would toxic to the fish.

Is this smell normal and harmless to my fish or should I be using a totally different container to age my water in

Thankyou

Kell

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 05:56 AM
Bins are usually treated to inhibit the growth of fungus, even if you've washed and scrubbed it well, It leave it out in the sun for week so the UV rays can breakdown the last of the nasties.

idealy a food grade bin from a home brew shop would be best as these arn't treated and desined to be safe for human food (and fish :) )

tanzy
Wed Feb 13, 2008, 06:33 AM
Your truly amazing ILLUSN. I should have known better not to listen to advise from my LFS.

Kindess Regards

Kell