PDA

View Full Version : Sump worth it or not?

diamonddiscus08
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:00 AM
I was wondering if it is worth setting up a sump? I have a 55 gallon and I am using strictly RO with little to nitrates. Also is it possible to make a freshwater sump? Can anyone give me adivce on this and is cost-effecient?

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:15 AM
Sumps are great if you have the space, they have massive filtration capacity add extra volume to the system and provide a convieniant place to hide messy items (heaters thermometers etc).

you could build a nice baffled sump from and old 2 footer and some glass pretty cheeply, have a look through the DIY section for inspiration.

Greggy
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 06:22 AM
IMO it's not worth it on a 55G

If you need more bio and/or mechanical filtration simply add an Eheim 2217 canister filter.

Regards,

Greggy

boost.puppy
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
hey, we have four tanks (two with sumps two without) and it's personal preference, either way it's best to have a canister filter to "buddy up" your sump system, for looks wise yes it looks alot better, for water flow etc etc it's much better, but keep in mind you'll have the space issue... if I were you I'd go find myself a second hand marine tank.. sell off the protein skimmer & run it freshwater!
that way you'll have your weir, powerheads & sump already there... it's much more cost effective & less of a headache setting-up!

thats my ten cents :)

boost.puppy
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:51 AM
oh and to answer your second question.. I would run a trickle filter with some Bioballs & filter wool.. IMO it's the best Biological filtration for freshwater.

and run a small canister filter like a eheim or Fluval to help the biological filtration.

a sump is also handy for UV sterilizers so If you want to get serious about plants you can set-up everything through the sump (which is what I have done on my two tanks)