PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the numbers?

pepp76
Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hello all,

At the moment i have five discus(2 blue diamond,2 red malbro,1red turk)in a 260l comunity tank with both internal and external filters with spraybar,and RO water.the discus are all 4-5inche's big and there is no bullying and all is well.
I was wondering if discus are always shoalling fish or if you could sucsessfully keep three at this size and if not is my tank big enough for them all?
(other tankmates,1bristlenose,15 cardinal tets,2 bluerams).
thanks,pepp76....

Merrilyn
Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:07 PM
Your tank is quite large enough, at 260 lts for the five discus as well as their tankmates. We usually work on allowing 40 lts per adult fish, so you're well within the guidelines.

pepp76
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hello folks..

Thanks for your reply Merrilyn.
I have come across a rather lovely small blue snakeskin and another small lovely pigeon blood,both about 2-3inch at my LFS.I wish to add these to my tank but im concerned that my larger settled fish may give them to hard a time.I have been told that they should be fine as being smaller they wont seem a threat to my bigger fish.
Can you tell me if this is accurate. :roll:

Thanks,peppo76..

Matt15
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
Mate you can't judge your fishes behaviour. I wouldn't think adding two more will be a problem. That takes your number to 7 which only shares the bullies attention providing you have one in the tank.

pepp76
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the reply MATT15.

I have no bullying problems at the moment so all should be well,thanks for your thoughts.My LFS owner just got them in and i wont get them for another week or so,he likes to make sure all is fine before he lets them go.

pepp76..

Matt15
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sounds like your lfs is pretty responsible which is good.
If you can it is highly recommended that you quarantine your new additions before adding them to your community tank. That way no new evils can be introduced to your tank.

pepp76
Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:59 PM
hey everyone..

Yeah my LFS owner is very good to deal with,lots of useful advice and he wont sell you stuff just for the sake of profits unlike some!(d i tropicals lossiemouth SCOTLAND).
Unfortunatley i haven't got a quarentine tank although i have been thinking a lot about gett'n one,i realise it would save me lots of heartache!

pepp76...