PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates

Dearra
Thu Feb 07, 2008, 01:12 PM
I am not sure if I have a problem, but when I have been testing my water the results are: Ph 6.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

I have a planted tank, but shouldn't there be some sort of reading for the Nitrate. Is there something I should be adding.

Thanks
Dearra

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:48 PM
in some balanced plant tanks the NO3 can get to 0, in such a tank supplimenting with KNO3 can help a lot, do you have a lot of fast growing plants inthere, can you see some yellowing on the new growth?

boost.puppy
Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:01 AM
If your tank is quite cycled, this is a good thing, unless you accidently left your filter off (which I have done before) and then your tank will just re-cycle itself,and the worst that can happen is a reading of ammonia (which is easily fixable with waterchanges.) so seeing your ammonia is zero, it looks like your tank is cycled, and your plants are doing their job!

Dearra
Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:04 PM
That is a relief. I only have swords growing, very slowly, but they look very healthy.

Every water change I put in Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron. I also only have a very low light tank, so I guess I must be doing something right.

Thanks for the replies,

By the way, what is KN03

Dearra

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 08, 2008, 12:16 PM
kno3 is potasium nitrate, great way to add 2 macros, nitrogen and potasium.