PDA

View Full Version : washing plants

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm just about to re-work the 6ft tank, change substrate, etc (see thread in General section).

I've currently got some problems with BBA & green algae (baybe hair algae?) and I'm wanting to try to slow this when I clean out the tank. I've also prevoiusly introduced duck weed when putting other plants in the tank, which has been driving me nuts ever since - although it's the only plant I seem to have found a market for. I'm hoping to get rid of it when I clean the tank out.

Anyway, I thought I read somewhere that you can wash plants - maybe in bleach? And I was wondering how to go about this, and still be able to put them back with the discus?

TIA
DiscusEden

fish_r
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey Carolyn
u should find the answers here
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=bleach+dip+for+aquarium+plants&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

just look for a bleach with no detergents and no additives etc, i would think something like a black and gold brand ?
personally i dont like the idea of bleach dips as it can also kill sensitive plants like vals etc...
for the BBA seachem exell is the go, u can squirt it directly onto the bba with a syringe when it's planted in the tank and it will die whithin a cpl of treatments.