PDA

View Full Version : Filter recommendation Please

chris
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi all can any please recommend a new filter for me.
I have a 5x2x2 tank
Im looking for a replacement cannister.
I currently use an Otto 450g filter but I think it not working to well, It would have to be about 3 years old.

I was looking to spend what ever it takes, I was thinking about an Ehiem with a heater in it.

I wont reliability, effecienty.

(Power consumuption too.)
Obviously for the price of an Otto compaired to Ehiem or Fluval you would expect the better brands to be more efficient...

Any opions would be greatly appreciated..

Matt15
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:31 AM
I currently use an Otto 450g filter but I think it not working to well, It would have to be about 3 years old.

Mate have you tried cleaning out all the hoses and powerhead/propeller?
Often buildup can occur especially in the hoses.

If your looking to buy thou, why not checkout some of the forum sponsors. I'm sure they will help you out....;)

taksan
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:12 AM
the Eheim 2180 thermofilter is the best filter in the world ...period !

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:14 AM
eheim would be the way to go if your after efficiency.

ideal would be 2180 but you wont have change from $1000 after you buy the media.

2 2217s would proably do you, the total power consumption would be 40w but you'll need and external heater.

the only other real choice would be either 2 2128's or a 2128 with a 2217, but again, not sure how well a single 2128 would go heating a 5x2x2.

id go 2 2217s and have a anternal heater.

Greggy
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 12:57 PM
I'd go with an in-tank heater if I were you and keep the canister filter(s) simple.

Dual Eheim 2217 Classic filters would be good but for even better power efficiency with huge filtration capacity a single Eheim 2250 Classic is a good choice - I just got one myself for my 6x2x2 and already its making a big difference.

Of course the Eheim 2080/2180 Pro 3 filters should also be on your shopping list budget permitting.

Regards,

Greggy

chris
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the coments.
Id like to run just the one filter but two might be the option.
I have a fluval 304 and a Jebo that I bought from my LFS in a 3foot set up. That I may set up one day when breeding starts again,
Maybe I might buy a 2217 and run my fluval at the other end
Why are Eheim so good?

taksan
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:00 PM
Because they work ...work well... and work for many years.

Greggy
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:13 PM
Most (but not all) Eheim canister filters are so good because they are:

- Reliable
- Effective
- Quiet
- Robust
- Energy Efficient
- High Quality

The only 'negative' is that they are expensive compared to many other brands (especially those made in China) however canister filters are very much a 'you get what you pay for' item.

Put it this way... if you get an Eheim and you pay a few hundred dollars more than a chaper brand you'll quickly forget about the few hundred dollars extra you had to spend because you'll be so happy with your purchase. If you get something else for a few hundred dollars less than an Eheim and it doesn't meet your expectations (which is quite likely with the cheaper brands) you'll regret the purchase for ever.

Don't do what I did initially and hope the cheaper brands work just as good... they don't. Just get an Eheim up front and you'll be smiling all the way.

With every passing day of running my new Eheim 2250 Classic I'm loving it more and more. The thing is an absolute beast. After 3 days of running it has removed 99% of the tiny floating particles in my water and now my Discus look like they are levitating in thin air - thats how clear the water is now!

I run the new Eheim 2250 Classic in conjunction with an Eheim 2228 Pro canister filter and I can say the Eheim 2250 Classic is a BIG step ahead of the 2228 in terms of flow rate, filtering capacity and most of all its hugely superior ability at mechanical filtration... and the Eheim 2228 is a very good filter so that should put the 2250 Classic into perspective!

Regards,

Greggy

bugly
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 01:21 AM
I find running 2 filters allows me to operate with a margin of safety

1) highly unlikely to loose both filters at once
2) allows alternation of cleaning one filter always has old media.
3) allows me to quickly cycle a new tank if required by moving one filter to a new tank and putting new filter on and old one.

Oh Ehiems they are good because spares are always available, they break down less often then cheaper brands, they are much quiter then other canisters in my experience.

Ness
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 02:07 AM
make a sump if you got the room. you'll never look back

chris
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 01:35 AM
The ottos back and working fine, It was the sponge ,it was blocked, Ive squeezed it out serval times. but this wasnt doing much.
My Lfs advise to cut it half. And clean the other have in normal tap water, soak it cause its clogged. Use it later.. But by a new one later.

Ottos are great filters running for four years near enough. Cost $185.
Huge turn over of water. 30watts.

Not sure but someone said hose get blocked... please explain...

peppermintman
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have a 4 x2x4 tank and i have my Otto for about 3years and the only problem i have had is the propella gets noisy some times when i clean it and i just pull it apart and noise gone. I found that i took my spray bar off and no pressure build up. My Discus love it. Touch wood it doesnt stop. Have a good one.

actinicblue
Sat May 03, 2008, 10:42 AM
i have been using the same magnum 350 for more than 12 years now- i only replaced the an o ring once. very reliable, quiet and repair parts readily avail in almost every pet store.

cityguy
Tue May 06, 2008, 05:39 PM
I use a Fluval 4, external filter for my 65 gallon tank, its good..keep the water crisp and clean..

Hollowman
Wed May 07, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ehiem is the way to go ime :)

H

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:52 PM
I use fluval 205's along with a small internal filter in each tank. The idea being that if i need to use the hospital i can take the internal one and use that.

Although in one tank i now just keep the media for the internal one inside my external canister.
That way all i have to do it set the hospital up and grab the sponge out of the canister. Bingo! One mature hospital tank filter :)